A portable generator being used in a house that lost power due to Hurricane Sandy may have caused the death of a 90-year-old woman in Upper Merion township, Upper Merion police said.
The woman's death is the sixth attributed to Hurricane Sandy.
When police and emergency workers arrived at the woman's house in the Swedeland section, they found the woman's body on a hospital bed on the first floor, and detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the house.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed that "a portable gas powered generator was in use in the garage of the house since the power had gone out around midnight." The homeowners, who were slept on the third floor were evacuated as the Swedesland Fire Department helped ventilate the house until it was safe.