It's the latest injury for the talented 20-year-old, who broke his right hand during a summer practice when he slammed it in frustration against a padded wall when the team was in Las Vegas.
Last season, Irving missed 15 games with a concussion and shoulder injury.
Memphis forward Zach Randolph was fined $25,000 by the NBA for confronting Oklahoma City's Kendrick Perkins following both their ejections in a game last week.
* Minnesota guard Brandon Roy will miss at least the next month after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
Roy signed a 2-year deal in the offseason after sitting out all of last year. He had injections in his knees over the summer but had to have surgery after playing in only five games.
* Charlotte announced that forward Tyrus Thomas is expected to miss approximately 2 months with a torn muscle in his lower left leg he suffered in Saturday night's loss to Memphis.
In Monday's games
* At San Antonio, Chris Paul had 19 points and eight assists and Blake Griffin added 16 points and 12 rebounds as the Los Angeles Clippers beat the Spurs, 92-87.
Spurs swingman Stephen Jackson is expected to miss 4 to 6 weeks after suffering a non-displaced fracture to his right pinkie finger in the first quarter.
* At Washington, David West scored 13 of his season-best 30 points in the fourth quarter, and Roy Hibbert broke out of a slump with 20 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Indiana Pacers to a 96-89 win over the Wizards, who are a franchise-worst 0-9.
* At Charlotte, Ramon Sessions scored nine of his 23 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Bobcats to a 102-98 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.
* At Atlanta, Al Horford scored 15 points and Lou Williams added 14 to lead the Hawks past the Orlando Magic, 82-72.
* At Memphis, Danilo Gallinari scored 26 points, including a three-pointer with 13 seconds left, and the Denver Nuggets ended the Grizzlies' win streak at eight games with a 97-92 victory.
* At Dallas, Stephen Curry had 31 points and nine assists as the Golden State Warriors defeated the Mavericks, 105-101, in overtime.
* At Salt Lake City, Al Jefferson's 14 points and 16 rebounds led the Jazz to a 102-91 win over the Houston Rockets.