1 pound bittersweet chocolate, broke into pieces, or chocolate coating pieces
1. Combine all ingredients except the chocolate in a large mixing bowl. using an electric mixer, mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture forms a dough. Remove from the mixing bowl, shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. The nougat can be used right away or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
2. Before using, bring the nougat to room temperature. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate. use a small cookie scoop or your fingers to pinch of 1 1/2-inch pieces of the nougat, roll into balls, and dip into the melted chocolate or chocolate coating. Lay the candies on a parchment-paper-lined tray to set.
When Harry Potter gets on Hogwarts Express for the first time, he's amazed by the treats he can buy, such as these pasties. Makes six pasties.
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into chunks
4-6 tablespoons ice water
1 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place the flour, sugar, and the salt in the bowl of a food processor. pulse a few times to combine. Scatter the butter and shortening over the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times until the mixture resembles course yellow meal, with no white powdery bits remaining.
2. Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of cold water over the mixture. Toss the mixture together with a spatula until it starts clumping together. If it's too dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time (better too went than too dry). Gather the dough into a ball and pat it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Combine the pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Preheat the over to 400 F. Roll out the dough 1/8-inch think. use a saucer to cut out 6-inch circles.
4. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in the center of each circle of dough. Moisten the edges with water, fold the dough over the filling, and crimp with a fork to seal the edges. Cut slit to make vents. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 30 minutes or until browned.