The period mobster drama "Gangster Squad" starring Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling as off-the-books police officers opened in third place with $16.7 million.
Here she comes ... Miss Brooklyn
A 23-year-old blonde from Alabama, via Brooklyn, N.Y., won the Miss America crown Saturday night in Las Vegas.
En route to her victory, Mallory Hagan tap-danced to James Brown's "Get Up Off of That Thing," strutted down the runway in an asymmetrical white gown, donned a revealing black string bikini and answered a question about whether there should be armed guards in schools.
Her answer: "I don't think the proper way to fight violence is with violence. I think the proper way is to educate people on guns and the ways we can use them properly. We can lock them up, we can have gun-safety classes, we can have a longer waiting period."
Mallory's issue is fighting childhood sexual abuse. She said she will work to make child-abuse education mandatory in all 50 states.
She defeated Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers, who took second, and Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton, who finished third.
Mallory wins a $50,000 college scholarship. She is the first Miss New York to win Miss America since Vanessa Williams in 1984.
* The engagement of Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis has been confirmed by Wilde's spokeswoman.
The engagement was first reported by People.com.
This will be the second marriage for both actors. Wilde finalized her divorce from documentarian Tao Ruspoli in 2011 after eight years of marriage. Sudeikis was previously married to "Pitch Perfect" screenwriter Kay Cannon. They divorced in 2010.
* A Jason becoming dis-engaged is Jason Trawick, whose yearlong engagement to Britney Spears has ended.
Britney announced her singlehood on Friday, capping a week of changes that included her leaving "The X Factor" and promising fans she was returning her focus to music.
She calls that auto-tuned writhing music?
* Evan Rachel Wood's publicist, Amanda Silverman, said Friday that the 25-year-old actress and her husband, Jamie Bell, are expecting their first child later this year. They are, of course, "thrilled."
The couple married last year. They first dated in 2005 but broke up the following year.
* The teenage actor Angus T. Jones is expected back at "Two and a Half Men" next week, with CBS accepting his apology for calling the popular comedy "filth" and "very inappropriate."
Jones, who reportedly makes $350,000 an episode, later said he was sorry if his remarks in an interview with a religious organization showed an indifference to his colleagues or a lack of appreciation for his opportunity. He didn't publicly change his evaluation of the comedy, which is heavy on sexual jokes and innuendo.
The show's sex jokes will continue as Jones' character will soon be having an affair with a cougar played by Jaime Pressly.
So the kid makes $350K per episode, gets to make out with Jaime Pressly and gets to complain about his job?
* According to celebuzz.com, Patrick Dempsey and his company Global Baristas are the winning bidders to take Seattle-based coffee company Tully's out of bankruptcy.
Among the bidders they beat out was some little coffee shop company called Starbucks.
Tully's filed for bankruptcy in October 2012.
Hey, McDreamy, you know what goes great with a cup of (bankrupt) coffee? A (liquidated) newspaper.
- Daily News wire services
contributed to this report.