2 hit, 1 fatally, outside rapper's tour bus

ALEJANDRO A. ALVAREZ/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER Cops on Friday guard rapper French Montana's bus while detectives investigate the incident.
ALEJANDRO A. ALVAREZ/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER Cops on Friday guard rapper French Montana's bus while detectives investigate the incident.
Posted: March 04, 2013

POLICE WERE STILL sorting out details Friday of an overnight shooting in Old City outside rapper French Montana's tour bus that killed one man and injured another.

But one thing was clear: The rapper, although not believed to be a target in the shooting, is no angel.

In a 2008 interview with entertainment website VladTV, the 28-year-old New York-based rapper, whose online bio touts him as chief executive of Cocaine City Records, talks about being shot in the head and about beating a murder charge.

"The bullet went in and out in the back of my head, right, but the n----- that shot me is dead," the Moroccan-born rapper tells the interviewer. "The n----- that shot me is dead, so that's what it is ... I beat my case, 'cause I'm good."

Near midnight Thursday, cops said, a tour bus carrying Montana, his entourage and Philly-born rapper Meek Mill - infamous for his own legal troubles in the city - parked on Columbus Boulevard near Race Street by a Holiday Inn Express, where the group booked rooms after Montana's show at the Theatre of Living Arts on South Street.

When the bus stopped, carloads of fans pulled up and a crowd formed. A sedan then pulled up and someone inside opened fire on the crowd, investigators said. Jowann King, 28, of New York, was struck in the abdomen and later died at Hahnemann University Hospital.

A second man, a 28-year-old also from New York, was hit in the shoulder and was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

Investigators said the vehicle that they believe was used to drive that victim to the hospital was found riddled with bullet holes on 10th Street near the emergency room. At least two people in the crowd outside the tour bus pulled guns and fired back, Homicide Capt. James Clark said.

Police said they're unsure who the intended target of the shooting was, or what sparked it. On Friday, outside police headquarters - where the rapper and his entourage of about 20 were questioned - Montana told reporters, "Nobody was shooting at me."

Immediately after the shooting, he seem unfazed. He tweeted a photo of fellow performer Chinx Drugz being interviewed by a police officer in the Holiday Inn lobby with the caption, "Nobody got time for this s---."

Trouble seems to find Montana, whose real name is Karim Kharbouch. After his show in Las Vegas on Feb. 21, a fan left and allegedly shot and killed aspiring rapper Kenneth Wayne Cherry Jr. as each drove along the Strip.

With Cherry dead at the wheel, his Maserati rammed a taxi, causing it to burst into flames, killing two people and injuring five others whose vehicles were involved in the chain-reaction crash.

According to his website, Montana was in Philadelphia for his "Excuse My French Tour" to promote his debut album, which comes out in May. Mill, though his lyrics appear to be mostly about money, booze and women, is notorious for his raps about Philly, the city's criminal-justice system and violence.

Tipsters can call 215-686-3334 or text a tip to PPD TIP (773847).

On Twitter: @morganzalot

Blog: PhillyConfidential.com

comments powered by Disqus