How do these teams despise one another? Let us count the ways:
From the Pens' point of view:
5. Scott Hartnell is uglier than Hulk Hogan.
4. Seeing Jaromir Jagr wear orange and black was like seeing Jack Lambert in a tutu.
3. Never thanked Dan Carcillo for fighting Max Talbot in 2009.
2. We still owe Brayden Schenn for that cross-check to our captain.
1. Hey Briere, look out for Joe Vitale.
From the Flyers' point of view:
5. Sidney Crosby should replace Ndamukong Suh on ABC's new celebrity diving show "Splash."
4. That's right. Our coach called your guy "gutless."
3. Matt Cooke: The Tie Domi of his time.
2. We still owe Vitale for that knee-on-knee hit on Nick Grossmann
1. Hey Sid, forget Schenn. Look out for Claude Giroux. Again.
Talk to me
Here is a sampling of some of the more fun quotes between the two teams recently:
* "I'm sure there will be a lot of blood . . . They dislike us just as much as we dislike them." - Scott Hartnell before last year's memorable playoff series.
* "It was a gutless move by their coach. [Pittsburgh's enforcers] hadn't been out on the ice in 12 minutes. It's gutless." - Peter Laviolette after Danny Briere was injured by a late-game hit by fourth-liner Joe Vitale last April.
* "From what I can gather, their coach didn't like the hit [by Vitale] and took a stick and broke it over the glass. And that stick ended up on our bench." - Penguins coach Dan Bylsma.
* "You can see the hatred between these two teams. I think it brings out the best in everyone." - Brayden Schenn
* "I don't know who you're planning on starting tonight, but I want that first shift," Claude Giroux to Peter Laviolette prior to Game 6 in last year's playoffs.
* "These are fun games to watch, I guess," - Max Talbot, who has been on both sides of the rivalry.
Jan. 19: Penguins. . . 3-1
Feb. 20: Flyers. . . 6-5
March 7: at Flyers (CSN). . . 7:00
March 24: at Penguins (CSN). . . 7:00