Facing charges, Marcus Hook mayor will not run again

Posted: March 29, 2013

The mayor of Marcus Hook, who was charged last week with holding an acquaintance hostage during a drunken encounter at his home, has filed to withdraw his nominating petition for reelection, according to Delaware County officials.

James Schiliro, 38, had been asked by the borough council to step down from his office, but has said he would not do that. He recently filed paperwork to run for reelection.

He is out on bail on charges of recklessly endangering another person, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment, furnishing alcohol to a minor, and official oppression.

According to court records, on the night of Feb. 21 Schiliro sent a text message to a 20-year-old man, whom he had known for several years.

He later ordered a borough police officer to pick the man up in Trainer and take him to Schiliro's home in a police vehicle. While there, the man said, he was given what he believed were three glasses of wine.

According to the man, Schiliro, who was intoxicated, asked repeatedly whether he could perform oral sex on him. Schiliro is not charged in connection with those allegations.

Schiliro waved handguns around during the encounter. At one point, he put a gun to his head and said "he didn't want to live anymore," according to the records. At another point, Schiliro allegedly fired into the floor.

Schiliro sold the weapons shortly after the encounter, has entered an alcohol-treatment program and is undergoing counseling, his attorney, Michael Malloy, has said.


Contact staff writer Mari A. Schaefer at 610-892-9149, mschaefer@phillynews.com or @MariSchaefer on Twitter.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|