Marcus Hook mayor withdraws reelection bid

Posted: March 30, 2013

The mayor of Marcus Hook, charged last week with holding an acquaintance hostage during a drunken encounter at his home, has decided not to run for reelection.

The borough council had asked James Schiliro, 38, to step down, but he declined. He recently filed paperwork to run for reelection, but now has withdrawn his nominating petition, Delaware County officials said Thursday.

He is out on bail on charges of recklessly endangering another person, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment, furnishing alcohol to someone under 21, and official oppression.

According to court records, on the night of Feb. 21, Schiliro sent a text message to a 20-year-old friend he had known for several years.

He later ordered a borough police officer to pick up the friend in Trainer and bring him to Schiliro's home in a police vehicle. While there, the man said, he was given what he believed were three glasses of wine.

According to the man, Schiliro was intoxicated, and asked repeatedly whether he could perform oral sex on him.

Schiliro waved handguns during the encounter, the man said. At one point, he put a gun to his head and said "he didn't want to live anymore," according to court records. At another point, Schiliro allegedly fired a round into the floor.

Schiliro sold the weapons shortly after the encounter, has entered an alcohol-treatment program, and is undergoing counseling, his attorney, Michael Malloy, has said.


Contact Mari A. Schaefer at 610-892-9149, mschaefer@phillynews.com, or follow @MariSchaefer on Twitter.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|