Probation for trooper in luxury-car escort

Posted: May 15, 2013

A former New Jersey state trooper who led an "embarrassing" high-speed escort of luxury sports cars to Atlantic City was sentenced Monday to a year of probation.

Nadir Nassry, who had held the rank of sergeant, also must perform 75 hours of community service as part of the sentence imposed by Superior Court Judge Bradley J. Ferencz in Middlesex County.

Nassry, 48, of Phillipsburg, forfeited his job when he pleaded guilty in March to falsifying or tampering with records. He had been on the force for 26 years, earning an annual salary of $110,000.

Officials said Nassry reportedly provided the escort at the request of former Giants running back and two-time Super Bowl winner Brandon Jacobs. Jacobs, who joined the San Francisco 49ers that year and is now a free agent, was a member of the exclusive "Driving Force Club" for owners of expensive and rare sports cars.

In pleading guilty, Nassry admitted that he used black electrical tape on March 30 to change the license plate of his patrol car as he led the convoy of high-performance cars down the Garden State Parkway, reaching speeds of 100 m.p.h.

As the caravan - including Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis - weaved through traffic, other motorists took videos that were posted on YouTube, and ultimately caused State Police Col. Rick Fuentes and Attorney General Jeffrey S. Chiesa to call the matter an "embarrassing" situation that put the public at risk.

Joseph Ventrella, 29, a trooper of seven years, was enlisted by Nassry to assist in the escort, authorities said. He also forfeited his $75,000 job and is awaiting enrollment in a pretrial court intervention program that could clear his criminal history.

The case was investigated by the Attorney General's Office, and the criminal conviction will be sent to the Department of Treasury to determine whether Nassry's pension will be affected, said Peter Aseltine, a spokesman for the attorney general.

Nassry's attorney, Charles Sciarra, did not return a call seeking comment.

After the sentencing, Chiesa issued a written statement.

"We responded to this alarming episode by establishing new rules for trooper escorts and by reaffirming the high standards of the New Jersey State Police, standards that our troopers meet every day as they carry out their challenging duties to protect the public," Chiesa said.

"The troopers involved in this unauthorized escort forfeited their law enforcement careers because they violated those standards, putting motorists at risk and discrediting the force. Beyond that, the sergeant who led the escort has today acquired a felony record that he will carry for life."


Contact staff writer Barbara Boyer at 856-779-3838, bboyer@phillynews.com, or follow on Twitter @BBBoyer.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|