Attorney: Guzman left hearing in tears

Jonathan Josey outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia on Feb. 26, 2013. (Mensah Dean / Staff)
Jonathan Josey outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia on Feb. 26, 2013. (Mensah Dean / Staff)
Posted: June 26, 2013

THE ATTORNEY for a woman who was hit in the face by former Philadelphia police Lt. Jonathan Josey says his client left Josey's arbitration hearing in tears yesterday after intense questioning from a lawyer representing the Fraternal Order of Police.

"This process is shockingly brutal for a person that got punched in the face," attorney Enrique Latoison said. "Why was anything necessary for her to be attacked like that again?"

Latoison represents 39-year-old Aida Guzman, who was filmed being hit in the face by Josey during a Puerto Rican Day celebration Sept. 30. The video quickly went viral. Josey was fired and charged with assault, but he was acquitted at a bench trial after claiming he was trying to knock a beer out of Guzman's hand.

Now, he's fighting to get his job back through arbitration between the FOP and the city, which began with yesterday's hearing.

The hearing was closed to the public, but Latoison said Guzman and Commissioner Charles Ramsey testified for the city.

Latoison said he was not allowed to accompany his client into the hearing room, but when she came out she was visibly upset and said the FOP's attorney had called her a liar.

"She came out bawling when the arbitration was over," Latoison said.

Guzman, who has received a $75,000 settlement from the city, was not required to testify at the hearing but took time off at her two jobs to do so, Latoison said.

"She feels it's the right thing to do," he said. "She wants to speak for people who can't speak for themselves."

Latoison believes Josey will get his job back.

"He never apologized to her . . . but yet he allowed his representatives to literally attack her," Latoison said. "That guy, there's a special place in the world for him."

Requests for comment to FOP president John McNesby, the FOP's attorney and city officials were not returned yesterday.

On Twitter: @FarFarrAway



comments powered by Disqus