Codefendant in Hernandez case ordered held

Ernest Wallace is accused of participating in a killing with former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.
Ernest Wallace is accused of participating in a killing with former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez. (Associated Press)
Posted: July 10, 2013

ATTLEBORO, Mass. - A man facing an accessory to murder charge in the case involving former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was ordered held without bail on Monday, and a judge ruled that search warrants that had earlier been sealed may be released.

Ernest Wallace pleaded not guilty in District Court in Attleboro, Mass. The Miramar, Fla., man will be held without bail until another hearing on July 22.

Details of the charge against Wallace - accessory to murder after the fact - were not released during the brief proceeding. Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter declined comment on the specific allegations and the investigation into the death of Odin Lloyd.

Lloyd, a semipro football player, was found slain on June 17 at an industrial park in North Attleborough not far from Hernandez's home. The 27-year-old Lloyd's relatives say the two men were friends.

Prosecutors say Wallace, 41, and another man, Carlos Ortiz, were with Hernandez when they drove with Lloyd to the industrial park. Authorities say Hernandez orchestrated the killing because he was upset at Lloyd for talking to certain people at a nightclub a few days earlier.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday that if the charges against Hernandez are true, his organization has been duped.

"When he was in our building, we never saw anything where he was not polite. He was always respectful to me. We only know what's going on inside the building. We don't put private eyes on people."

Kraft also said the Patriots will "be looking at our procedures and auditing how we do things" with regard to character reviews.

|
|
|
|
|