Trayvon, sure. But what about Tremaine and all the others?

DANA DiFILIPPO / DAILY NEWS STAFF A memorial for Alfred McCrory, among the eight Philadelphia homicide victims the days following the Zimmerman verdict.
DANA DiFILIPPO / DAILY NEWS STAFF A memorial for Alfred McCrory, among the eight Philadelphia homicide victims the days following the Zimmerman verdict.
Posted: July 23, 2013

ON SATURDAY, July 13, a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

The verdict was national news. Protests and rallies raged across the country. That same weekend in Philadelphia, eight men, mostly young, mostly black, were shot to death. During a 56-hour period into Monday, their deaths were barely noticed, because they are all too commonplace.

The Daily News took a long look at the death of one of them, Tremaine Rogers, who, like Trayvon Martin, was just 17. Here's what we found out about the seven others who were killed.

Joseph Wisman

Wisman, 45, was the the first to die that Saturday. He was walking in his Southwest Philadelphia neighborhood on Simpson Street near Upland about 7:15 a.m. when a gunman approached to rob him, police said.

Duing the robbery, the gunman shot him in the chest. Wisman died at the scene, and police have reported no arrests in the case.

On Friday afternoon, no one answered a knock at the door of Wisman's tan brick rowhouse that sits in the middle of a narrow block of Felton Street, off busy Woodland Avenue in the Mount Moriah neighborhood.

William Kenneth Wise

Early Sunday morning, July 14, William Kenneth Wise, 43, was just a block from his home on Huntingdon Street when he was found shot in the head on 27th Street near Sterner in North Philadelphia.

He was pronounced on the scene at 1:03 a.m., police said. The Daily News was unable to reach family or friends.

Alfred McCrory

Later Sunday morning, a man friends called "Doo Doo" was walking home from the corner store about 11:15 a.m. when several men rushed up to him, just a few doors from his rowhouse on Bellmore Street near Frankford Avenue in Kensington.

A witness told the Daily News that a gunman shot McCrory once in the side - and then again as McCrory tried to get away. The killer and his friends then shot him in the forehead and pistol-whipped him as he lay in the street, the witness said.

"I lost my breakfast that morning," said the witness, who asked to be anonymous because the killers remain unidentified.

Police say they haven't determined a motive for his slaying. Drug dealers regularly work the block but have steered clear since the slaying, neighbors said.

McCrory, 21, worked for his uncle fixing up cars, a neighbor said. He was known for his snazzy clothes and collection of sneakers, the neighbor said.

Fearing for her safety, McCrory's girlfriend has moved away. Neighbors put up a memorial of candles and iced-tea cans, commemorating McCrory's fondness for iced teas, Skittles, Slim Jims and other snacks; mourners had put Slim Jims and Skittles in the memorial, but junkies kept stealing them, the witness said.

Jacques Charles

Police say Jacques Charles, 32, who lived on Wharton Street near 28th in Grays Ferry, was shot multiple times in the chest, arms and legs at 9:12 p.m. Sunday on Reed Street - just around the corner from his home. He was pronounced dead eight minutes later at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Investigators said yesterday that they don't know the motive for the shooting and haven't made an arrest. The Daily News was unable to reach Charles' family or friends.

Craig Jackson

Soon after Charles was murdered, Craig Jackson, 21, of Whitaker Avenue near Herkness Street in Crescentville, was shot once in the chest on B Street near Whitaker Avenue in North Philadelphia about 10 p.m.

Police listed the motive as argument but reported no suspects or arrests. His relatives couldn't be located for comment.

At the time of his death, Jackson was awaiting trial for a Feb. 7 arrest on a charge of making terroristic threats. The trial was scheduled for Wednesday, three days after he was slain.

Derrick Thomas

At 2:29 a.m. Monday, July 15, Derrick Thomas, 35, was killed in front of the home he shared with his parents on W. Luzerne Street near 7th in Hunting Park.

Police said Thomas was found with a gunshot wound to his left side. He was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead an hour later.

A memorial of stuffed animals and candles has been erected in front of the house where Thomas lived.

His mother, who was visibly still shaken by the her son's slaying, politely declined to speak with a reporter on Wednesday.

There have been no arrests in Thomas' slaying and a motive remains unknown, according to police.

Anthony Bailey

Anthony Bailey's mother, Michelle, said her son was "trying to find a job and do the right thing" when he was killed about 5:30 p.m. Monday.

Bailey, 31, was living in a halfway house when police say he was fatally shot by a shotgun blast to the chest.

Police said there were signs of a struggle in the house on Lambert Street near Norris, in North Philadelphia. Bailey was found lying in a hallway, bleeding. Two men were seen running from the house.

"It's just crazy," his mother said. "He was killed right up the street."

She said her son, who got his high-school equivalency diploma in prison, "liked his basketball, and the girls always loved him."

But what he loved best, she said, was spending time with his 10-year-old son, Kasan McCray.

- Dana DiFilippo, Stephanie Farr, Helen UbiƱas, Morgan Zalot and William Bender

comments powered by Disqus