Frustrated Flyers lose to Coyotes

The Flyers' Zac Rinaldo (right) dukes it with the Coyotes' Paul Bissonnette. Rinaldo assisted on the Flyers' lone goal.
The Flyers' Zac Rinaldo (right) dukes it with the Coyotes' Paul Bissonnette. Rinaldo assisted on the Flyers' lone goal. (STEVEN M. FALK / Staff)
Posted: October 13, 2013

The Flyers inability to generate offense continued. Despite a season-high 37 shots, the Flyers were repeatedly denied in Friday's 2-1 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes at the Wells Fargo Center.

The Flyers (1-4) have now scored just six goals in their five games. Phoenix is 3-2.

"It is more difficult to see the guys struggling to score now," said goalie Steve Mason, who played another strong game. "Everybody cares so much and to see the guys not having success we want is difficult to see."

Right now watching the offense is difficult to see as well. And the prospects aren't any better after the Flyers lost Scott Hartnell with an upper-body injury and Vincent Lecavalier with a lower-body injury.

After the game general manager Paul Holmgren said he expected both would be out at least a week. They will be having MRIs on Saturday and won't travel to Detroit, where the Flyers face the Red Wings on Saturday.

The Flyers came out skating the fast-paced style that coach Craig Berube is demanding, and applied immediate pressure.

A little more than a minute into the game, Matt Read shot wide of an open net and moments later Phoenix goalie Thomas Greiss stopped Brayden Schenn who broke in on goal after taking a feed from Lecavalier.

Phoenix scored first when Rob Klinkhammer tipped in Derek Morris' shot from the point with 17 minutes, 19 seconds left in the first period.

The Flyers had a great chance while shorthanded when Adam Hall was pulled down on a breakaway by Michael Stone, causing a penalty shot.

While skating in for the penalty shot, Hall lost control after making several fakes and never got a shot off, with Greiss falling on the loose puck.

With 40 seconds left in the first period, Lecavalier was stopped point blank from just inside the left circle by Greiss.

The Flyers continued to generate chances and finally tied it up with 2:31 left in the second period on Max Talbot's first goal of the season.

Sean Couturier started the play from behind the Phoenix net where he found Zac Rinaldo in the slot. Rinaldo, spun around and shot on goal. The puck deflected off Talbot's right skate and into the net.

The lead was short-lived.

With Rinaldo off for high sticking, Phoenix's Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored on a power-play wrist shot from inside the right circle with just 12.9 seconds left in the second period.

"I think after the goal, we had a little bit of momentum," Talbot said. "After that second goal from them it was tough."

The high sticking penalty by Rinaldo had Berube seething.

"It's a fine line with him and he can't cross it and he did," said Berube, who suffered his first loss in his second game as Flyers coach.

With 17:47 left in the third period Rinaldo was called for cross checking Paul BIssonnette, who fell on goalie Steve Mason.

The crowd was quiet as Mason momentarily stayed down, but he remained in the game.

Greiss was standing up to the pressure and stopped a potential Schenn tip-in attempt on a power play with 11:40 left. Four minutes later, Greiss stoned Jake Voracek from inside the right circle.

The Flyers were doing everything but putting the puck in the net following a season-long pattern.


comments powered by Disqus