Nezet-Seguin to miss this week's concerts

Posted: December 03, 2013

Philadelphia Orchestra music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin will be replaced in this week's Kimmel Center and Carnegie Hall concerts by Michael Tilson Thomas.

An orchestra spokeswoman said Nézet-Séguin was suffering from sinus problems and had been told by his doctor not to travel. This is the second Carnegie Hall date he will have missed this season; the first was the hall's season-opening gala last month, cancelled due to a stagehands' strike.

In another switch, guest pianist Helene Grimaud has requested a change of program from Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2 to his Piano Concerto No. 1.

Nézet-Séguin has been in his native Montreal, playing concerts that have included chamber music with his partner, violist Pierre Tourville, two Wednesday concerts (9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.) with his Orchestre Métropolitain Montreal, and, on Friday, a concert with celebrated contralto Marie-Nicole Lemieux in Mahler's Kindertotenlieder.

Tilson Thomas, music director of the San Francisco Symphony since 1995, will conduct Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, as originally scheduled by Nézet-Séguin. The Philadelphia concerts are Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday; the Carnegie Hall date is Friday.

Tilson Thomas recently made news by tossing cough drops - good naturedly, according to reports - into a cacophonous Chicago Symphony audience during Mahler's Symphony No. 9.


dstearns@phillynews.com

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|