Angelo Durso, 83, auditor of shipyard

Angelo Durso
Angelo Durso
Posted: January 11, 2014

Angelo "Tim" Durso, 83, of Drexel Hill, who for more than two decades led the federal government's audits of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, died Sunday, Jan. 5, of complications from lung cancer at his home.

From 1963 until his retirement in 1990, Mr. Durso specialized in auditing naval facilities in Philadelphia. He also led Navy audits of shipyards in Rota, Spain, and Naples, Italy, as well as domestic facilities at Norfolk, Va., and Portsmouth, N.H.

At Portsmouth, he led audits of the Trident missile program.

Late in his career, the Navy assigned Mr. Durso to do an investigative audit of the experimental nuclear work of Adm. Hyman G. Rickover, but too few financial records existed for Mr. Durso to conduct a thorough job, he told his son, Sam.

His father prided himself on being a tough, uncompromising auditor who was relentless in saving what he called "the people's money," his son said.

His father, Samuel, a Philadelphia police officer, nicknamed him "Tim" after a character in a comic strip.

A native of South Philadelphia and 1949 graduate of South Philadelphia High School, Mr. Durso entered military service after graduating in 1953 from La Salle College with a bachelor's degree in accounting.

During the Korean War, Mr. Durso served stateside as an accountant for the Army.

After his discharge in 1955, Durso began work as an auditor for the City Controller's Office in Philadelphia, where he worked from 1957 to 1963, when he entered the Naval Audit Service.

According to his son, Mr. Durso retired early in 1990 amid worries that his work on a Navy contract with a private corporation was being compromised by political pressure. At the time, he was a workaholic, about to turn 60.

It surprised everyone, including Mr. Durso, how easily he adjusted to the life of a retiree.

"My father spent the last 23 years of his life reconnecting with the people and world around him. He took up carpentry and cooking, and enjoyed long daily nature walks with our mother, while always keeping busy with accounting work for family and friends," his son said.

He married the former Elizabeth Morroni in 1964. The couple moved from South Philadelphia to Drexel Hill.

In addition to his wife and son, he is survived by daughter Julie Madonna, a sister, and four grandchildren.

Services were Thursday, Jan. 9.

Contributions may be made to U.S. Committee for UNICEF, 125 Maiden Lane, New York, N.Y. 10038.



comments powered by Disqus