Corbett seeks $2 million more to help domestic violence victims

Posted: January 24, 2014

HARRISBURG Gov. Corbett said Wednesday that he wants to boost funding for domestic violence and rape crisis programs by $2.2 million in the 2014-15 budget.

"I'm calling for an increase because I understand these programs are not simple line items - they change and save lives," said Corbett at a news conference.

Corbett, who is set to make his budget address Feb. 4, said additional funding would bring the total to $15.3 million, a 10 percent increase over the current year. The money will support emergency services, such as a 24/7 hotline, emergency shelter, and financial aid and victim advocacy programs.

In 2012, there were 110 victims killed in domestic violence incidents in Pennsylvania, and more than half involved a firearm. The figure is the state's lowest since 2008, but the numbers are still shocking, the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence said in a statement.

"This indispensable funding will assist those who have experienced domestic violence and help them to survive, recover, and resume their lives," said Peg Dierkers, executive director of the coalition, which represents 60 community-based programs.

More than 30,000 people were served by the programs last year. Dierkers said that as a result of funding cuts, 5,000 individuals statewide were unable to be served last year. She said the additional funding will help ensure that all women who need services can get help.


aworden@phillynews.com

717-783-2584

@InkyAmy

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|