Ligambi walks free, first time since 2011

Joseph Ligambi holding his coat as he walks out of the federal courthouse Tuesday. Remaining charges against the reputed mob boss were dismissed.
Joseph Ligambi holding his coat as he walks out of the federal courthouse Tuesday. Remaining charges against the reputed mob boss were dismissed. (DAVID MAIALETTI / Staff Photographer)
Posted: January 30, 2014

With the last of the federal charges against him dropped, reputed mob boss Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi walked out of the U.S. District Courthouse in Philadelphia a free man Tuesday morning.

"I'm going to go home and relax," Ligambi, 74, told reporters. "It's freezing out." Wearing a black wool trench, he climbed into a black sedan on Market Street with his nephew Anthony Borgesi. "We're just happy," Borgesi said.

Ligambi's chilly walk to freedom came days after a federal jury deadlocked on the last of the racketeering and gambling charges against him - and hours after U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno, on a motion from prosecutors, dismissed the remaining counts. Ligambi had been in custody since his indictment in 2011.

Federal authorities spent millions of dollars and 14 years trying to buttress their claim that Ligambi oversaw the mob's illegal gambling and loan-sharking rackets across Philadelphia and its suburbs.

On Friday, the second jury to try Ligambi found itself unable to reach a unanimous verdict on three counts. The panel did clear him of one count of witness intimidation and found his nephew, one-time mob consigliere George "Georgie Boy" Borgesi - Anthony's brother - not guilty on one racketeering conspiracy count. George Borgesi was released from federal custody Friday afternoon.


abrust@phillynews.com

301-503-5429

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|