Charles A. Hulet, priest

Charles A. Hulet
Charles A. Hulet
Posted: February 06, 2014

Before beginning his freshman year at Temple University in the 1950s, Charles A. Hulet had to work full time for a year, to begin to bank his tuition.

Then, in return for his promise to enter its ministry, the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania gave him a partial scholarship.

His career suggested that he did not forget how difficult it had been to succeed.

From 1964 to 1978, the Rev. Charles A. Hulet, while a priest in a poor parish in Camden County, was director of career development and cooperative education at Temple University.

Then, from 1978 to 1982, he was director of grant development for the New Jersey Department of Higher Education.

Father Hulet, 77, of Cherry Hill, died Sunday, Jan. 26, of complications from a neuromuscular disease at Kresson View Center in Voorhees.

Born in Pottsville, Pa., he grew up in Germantown and graduated from Central High School in Philadelphia in 1954.

Then, his son Craig said, "he worked in a sugar refinery on Delaware Avenue. For a few years. Even during school."

His wife, Lois, whom he married in 1958, said that for four years he was manager for Temple's often-nationally ranked basketball teams, earning a bachelor's degree in education in 1959.

Father Hulet graduated from Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria in 1962 and was ordained an Episcopalian priest that year.

"He became a worker-priest, which meant that he didn't have a full-time church. He served very small churches," his wife said.

While an executive at Temple, she said, "he had a church for 22 years, a very small, poor church - Holy Trinity Delair" in Camden County. Only 25 to 30 parishioners would show up for Sunday services, she said.

At Temple, as director of cooperative education, Father Hulet began a work-study program similar to that at Drexel University, his wife said.

"Chuck started the Temple program to allow students to work six months and go to school six months, and get paid for it," she said.

His neuromuscular illness cut short his Temple career, but not his educational career.

From 1983 to 1988, he was director of grants management and administration at the University of Medicine and Dentistry at the New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine in Camden.

In 1986, he was elected to a two-year term as chairman of the New Jersey University Research Coordinating Council. He had been a cofounder in 1976 of that council, a consortium of 26 colleges and universities meant to share information about getting research grants.

From 1988 to 1990, he was manager of grant development for Graduate Health System in Philadelphia.

Then, his wife said, "he got a good offer" and they moved to Michigan, where he was director of grant development for William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he retired in 2000.

Continuing his lifetime habit of managing twin careers, she said, "he served numerous churches for the Diocese of Michigan."

Besides his wife and son Craig, Father Hulet is survived by a son, Keith; daughters Beth Larocca and Lee Yeash; and nine grandchildren.

No services were planned.

Condolences may be offered to the family at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, 1989 Route 70 E., Cherry Hill, N.J. 08003 and donations sent to its air-conditioning fund.

610-313-8134 @WNaedele

comments powered by Disqus