School sanctioned for use of ineligible player

Posted: February 17, 2014

Gospel of Grace Christian, a Cheltenham school that reached the state basketball tournament last year despite having only 14 boys in ninth through 12th grades, has withdrawn from this year's playoffs because it used an ineligible player, a source said.

The school also had to forfeit its 19 games played against PIAA teams.

A release issued Saturday by District 1 chairman Michael Barber said the district was contacted about "a potentially ineligible player who participated in 19 contests. The school in question was contacted and provided with the information. The school subsequently informed the District 1 office that the player was declared ineligible, resulting in the forfeiture of all contests."

The release did not identify the school.

Because of the forfeits, records for PIAA opponents had to be adjusted and the seedings for the District 1 Class AAAA and AAA tournaments were impacted. The point system is based on wins, losses, and opponents' records.

Gospel of Grace is a third-year PIAA member.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|