No clear answer in woman's death in car

Nadia Malik's body
Nadia Malik's body (was found near 30th Street Station.)
Posted: February 23, 2014

PHILADELPHIA Philadelphia police are awaiting toxicology results on the body of a 22-year-old woman who was found dead in a car near 30th Street Station on Thursday, they say.

So for now, Nadia Malik's death remains a puzzle.

The body of Malik, a mother of two from Broomall, was found in a Nissan Altima parked on South 30th Street on Thursday afternoon, more than 10 days after her family reported her missing.

Police found parking tickets dating to Feb. 10 on the car's windshield and determined that it had initially been parked at 23d and Market Streets. On Feb. 14, during a snow emergency, the Altima was moved to 30th Street, where it sat for nearly a week.

On Thursday, Philadelphia police checked on the car at the request of Marple Township police, who were investigating Malik's disappearance. Inside, detectives found her body slumped in the passenger seat, covered in a pile of clothing, and with a duffel bag on top of her head.

Books and loose change were scattered in the backseat.

"You would have to be peering very, very intently in the car to think there was something in there," Marple Police Chief Thomas Murray said.

There were no immediate signs of trauma, Lt. John Walker of Southwest Detectives said, and no signs of a struggle.

Police served a search warrant on the car and turned up several receipts for food and gas - none past Feb. 9. They also found several bottles of prescription pills issued to Bhupinder Singh, Malik's boyfriend, Walker said.

The pills were legally obtained, he said. Murray said Malik had "some history" of pill use, but didn't know "to what extent."

Police say they want to question Singh, who was arrested Feb. 12 on a probation violation in Ohio. He is awaiting extradition to Pennsylvania next week.

Murray said Singh left Philadelphia for New York on Feb. 9 - the day before Malik was reported missing. From there, he traveled to Washington and then Cleveland, where he arrived Feb. 12.

Police do not believe he stayed with anyone along the way, Murray said.

Walker said police are still trying to determine how long Malik's body was in the car.

He asked anyone with any information on the case to call police at 215-686-8477.

610-313-8112 @aubreyjwhelan

comments powered by Disqus