Yet warnings often go unheeded. In the aftermath of natural disasters, homeowners still use propane grills and gas generators in confined places, despite recommendations not to. And they die.
In winter, many cases of lingering respiratory illness are related to carbon monoxide poisoning from stoves and furnaces that aren't working properly, with little ones and the elderly most at risk.
So what do you do?
An alarm is the only way to detect the odorless poisonous gas. The National Fire Protection Association recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, including the basement, and one near every sleeping area.
But an alarm can only warn. You need to correct the problem.
Joe Ponessa, a Rutgers emeritus professor, recommends regular inspection and maintenance of all fuel-burning appliances, including stoves, furnaces, water heaters, and dryers by a qualified technician. Metal flues and heat exchangers should be inspected for signs of rust or cracking.
Follow the recommendations in owners' manuals to ensure proper appliance use. Gas ranges, ovens, and clothes dryers are not intended to be used to heat the home. Do not use barbecue grills or construction space heaters indoors.
Garages and workshops are indoor enclosed spaces where combustion gases can accumulate.
email@example.com or write him at The Inquirer, Box 8263, Philadelphia 19101.
Volume prohibits individual replies.