* Series: Staff writers Barbara Laker and David Gambacorta, for "Under the Gun," articles about the impact of illegal firearms on the city.
* Headline writing: News editor Joe Berkery, for "Big Bong Theory," about Gov. Corbett's contention that jobless numbers were high because job seekers were, too; "Battling Heroine," about a female pastor fighting drug blight; and "Are You Sittin' Me?" about the Eagles' quarterback competition.
* Column writing: Helen Ubiñas, for three of her columns.
* Editorial writing: Tom Ferrick, for three of his editorials.
* News photo: Steven M. Falk, for "Sweating bullets," featuring a woman behind a bullet-shattered window.
The Daily News also garnered eight second-place citations:
* Distinguished writing: Jason Nark, for three of his articles.
* Feature story: Ronnie Polaneczky, for "Paper Trail," about a man who as an infant had been found wrapped in a Daily News.
* News beat reporting: Regina Medina, for her education coverage.
* Personality profile: Dana DiFilippo, for "Hooked on Science," about a teacher who invents gadgets for his students.
* Sports-event coverage: Sports staff, for "The Frost and the Furious," the Eagles-Lions "snow bowl" game.
* Sports beat reporting: Les Bowen, for his Eagles coverage.
* Sports/outdoor column: Sam Donnellon, for a selection of his work.
* Feature beat reporting: Beer columnist Don Russell, for his "Joe Sixpack" columns.
* Investigative reporting: William Bender, for "Mr. Hide," about Mayor Nutter's questionable transparency.
* Series: Staff artist Amy Raudenbush, for "Art Thief," lessons in how to draw.
* Headline writing: Assistant Sports Editor Drew McQuade, for a selection of his headlines.
* Feature photo: David Maialetti, for "Zen moment," runners passing the Chinatown gate.