West Catholic cancels remainder of baseball season

Posted: April 25, 2014

THE REST of the West Catholic High baseball season has been canceled due to a lack of eligible players, according to the school's athletic director Brian Fluck.

The Burrs (0-6) had not won a game in the Catholic League's Blue division and had forfeited twice (April 10, April 21) because they only had eight available players. Five others were academically ineligible.

Today's scheduled contest against Archbishop Wood was canceled yesterday morning.

After deliberating with school administrators, Fluck said the decision was made yesterday by school president, Brother Richard Kestler, F.S.C.

"It's unfortunate," Fluck said. "We didn't want this to happen, but you can't keep on canceling games."

The players were notified of the possibility last week. Fluck also said attempts were made to find other interested students within the school to fill out the roster, but none came forward.

The future of the program, which was cut for two seasons before returning last season for a JV-only schedule, has not been determined.

"We'll have to sit down and talk with the president and the administration and find out what the best decision is," Fluck said.

On April 1 and 2, respectively, the Burrs lost 15-0 in four innings and 30-1 in three innings to Ss. Neumann-Goretti (7-2), a well-established contender, currently first in the division. They also fell, 16-0, to Archbishop Carroll (6-1) in three innings on April 9.

"I thought that we would start back up and it would take some time to get there," Fluck said of the program's first varsity season since returning, "but you can't foresee that kids are going to fail off the team."

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|