Giroux jailed

ASSOCIATED PRESS Claude Giroux got a $5 million signing bonus Tuesday, then spent the night in an Ottawa jail.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Claude Giroux got a $5 million signing bonus Tuesday, then spent the night in an Ottawa jail.
Posted: July 03, 2014

FLYERS CAPTAIN Claude Giroux spent Tuesday night in an Ottawa jail cell after an altercation with a police officer in Canada's capital, a source confirmed to the Daily News.

Giroux, 26, allegedly was detained for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. No charges were filed and Giroux was released on his own recognizance yesterday morning. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.

The news - which made Giroux the butt of jokes around the hockey world - was first reported by the Ottawa Sun.

According to the source, Giroux first grabbed the buttocks of the male officer inside The Great Canadian Cabin bar in the Byward Market club district. The officer warned Giroux to not do it again. When Giroux grabbed the officer again, he was hauled outside and put into the police cruiser. The arresting officer, according to the Sun, did not recognize Giroux.

The newspaper reported that officers were inside the bar as part of a routine walk-through, and that they were surprised no charges were filed.

Giroux is a regular at The Great Canadian Cabin. The bar tweeted photos of Giroux serving as a guest bartender in 2012. He was there on Tuesday celebrating Canada Day, the Canadian equivalent of our Fourth of July.

Giroux received a $5 million lump-sum payment from the Flyers as a signing bonus on Tuesday. It marked the first payment in his new 8-year, $66.2 million deal that was inked last July.

Giroux did not respond to multiple messages delivered to his cell phone by the Daily News yesterday. His agent, Pat Brisson, also did not respond for comment.

The Flyers, understandably surprised, refrained from discussing the incident.

"We are aware of reports surrounding Claude Giroux," general manager Ron Hextall said in a statement. "Until we have more information, we will withhold from making any further comment."

Citing Canadian law, Ottawa police declined to comment unless charges were laid. They also refused to confirm or deny the incident, until they later mistakenly released their media call log to the press, which confirmed Giroux' arrest. More than 150 media outlets requested comment from Ottawa police, with reporters and television cameras camped outside their headquarters.

The police leak also noted Constable Marc Soucy spoke to both Flyers director of public relations Zack Hill and Hextall to relay the arrest information.

Ryan Malone was the last current NHL player to be arrested, back on April 12, for driving under the influence and possession of cocaine. He was bought out of his contract by Tampa Bay last week. Trouble with hockey players is rare; only a handful of active NHL players have been in trouble with the law since 2011.

Giroux is not expected to face any supplementary discipline from the league.

This is the second summer in a row Giroux has made news off the ice in Ottawa. He severed tendons in his hand in a golfing accident last August, leading to a slow start to his season.

Giroux hails from Hearst, Ontario, a town about 12 hours north of Ottawa. He has made Ottawa his offseason home since 2005, when he began playing for the QMJHL's Gatineau Olympiques just across the Ottawa River.

Giroux was named the 18th captain in Flyers history last year. He finished third in the NHL in points with 86 in 82 games and was second runner-up to Sidney Crosby in Hart Trophy voting for the league's MVP.

On Twitter: @DNFlyers


comments powered by Disqus