Prosecution rests in Traffic Court corruption trial

Posted: July 11, 2014

A FEDERAL JUDGE denied motions for acquittal for six former Traffic Court judges and a Chinatown businessman yesterday, on the eve of the defense presenting its case.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Stengel ruled that sufficient evidence existed to support charges of conspiracy for all seven defendants.

Prosecutors rested their case yesterday afternoon in the Philadelphia Traffic Court judges' months-long ticket-fixing trial.

Lawyers for former judges Michael Sullivan, Robert Mulgrew, Michael Lowry, Mark Bruno, Willie Singletary and Thomasine Tynes and Chinatown businessman Robert Moy are expected to call character and other witnesses starting today.

The government contends the judges gave preferential treatment to traffic-ticket defendants who were socially and politically connected, an action that deprived the city and state of revenue.

As the case moves forward, Stengel said, "It comes down to a question of intent."

"If the ticket-holder was found not guilty where there had been a request for help or consideration, that is some evidence that the decision on the ticket was the result of a scheme or some improper influence," he said.

"And if that 'not guilty' decision was the result of a scheme or some improper influence, then the statutory [sentence] would require fines that were denied the city and the commonwealth."


On Twitter: @RuffTuffDH

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|