Clooney publicly pooh-poohed the story in a USA Today op-ed, prompting the outlet to pull the story earlier this week and apologize. The Mail, however, qualified said apology stating the story was "not a fabrication."
Clooney took again to USA Today, questioned the apology and laid down some fightin' words: "Either they were lying originally or they're lying now."
* Funny woman Rosie O'Donnell will return in September to "The View" and join another funny woman, Whoopi Goldberg, and a panel yet to be named.
Cue Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who butted heads with O'Donnell when both were on the gabfest a few years back. She called into her show "Fox and Friends" from an undisclosed vacation, accusing Rosie of spitting on the military in the past. Fellow former panelist Joy Behar called Hasselbeck's remarks "hateful." Repeat cycle.
* The Everly Brothers - Don and Phil - will be honored at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's 19th annual American Music Masters series in October, officials announced. Don Everly will attend the event, but won't perform. Phil Everly died from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease earlier this year.
Justin Bieber's lawyer agreed to a plea bargain in the Biebs' egg-throwing case. The trouble child is on two years' probation and was ordered to perform five days labor, TMZ.com reported. Bieber, who pleaded no contest to misdemeanor vandalism, is also required to attend anger management classes and pay his neighbor $80,900.
Huh, 80G for egg damage?
* Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has written a 1,500-word story about a grown-up Harry and posted it to her Pottermore website.
* Shock rocker Alice Cooper was inducted into the White Castle Craver Hall of Fame in Ohio.
Harrison Ford's injury will cause production to be suspended for two weeks on "Star Wars: Episode VII." Ford, 71, broke his leg last month during filming of the sequel in London.
* USA Today reported that Eva Mendes is seven months pregnant with Ryan Gosling's baby. Hopefully, the kid is female so he can really coo "Hey, Girl." Meanwhile, Mendes was photographed trying to cover up her major bump with an orange Birkin bag and several scarves. Not working.
* Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel welcomed his first child with his new wife, Molly McNearney, three days shy of their wedding anniversary. The tot is named Jane and has two siblings from Kimmel's previous marriage.