Austin won't face sexual assault charges in R.I.

Posted: July 18, 2014

Former Imhotep Charter basketball star Brandon Austin will not face charges from last November's alleged sexual assault, the Rhode Island attorney general's office said Wednesday.

In a statement, the office said a statewide grand jury determined that there was "legally insufficient evidence" to pursue charges against Austin. The grand jury also declined to charge Rodney Bullock, who was Austin's teammate at the time of the incident.

The incident was alleged to take place shortly before Austin and Bullock's freshman seasons at Providence. Both players were suspended for "not upholding their responsibilities as student athletes." Austin, 20, transferred to Oregon and Bullock stayed with the Friars.

In May, Austin was suspended by Oregon after he and two teammates were investigated by police for a sexual assault. The Lane County (Ore.) District Attorney's Office declined to press charges. In June, the university suspended all three players for up to 10 years. Austin's lawyer, Laura Fine Moro, said last week that Austin will spend next season at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas.

Austin led Imhotep to PIAA Class AAA and Public League titles in 2013. He committed to Providence before his senior year, choosing the Friars over scholarship offers from Miami, Rutgers, Syracuse, and UCLA. He had orally committed to Penn State earlier but changed his mind.

ESPN rated Austin as a four-star recruit and ranked him No. 56 in the Class of 2013.


mbreen@phillynews.com

@matt_breen

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|