October 9, 2013 |
VILLANOVA The 18-year-old Villanova University student whose body was found in her dormitory room three days into the semester in August died of alcohol poisoning, according to the Delaware County medical examiner. Kinara Patel, a sophomore from Hackensack, N.J., was found Aug. 29 inside her Sullivan Hall dorm room after spending a night with friends in Bryn Mawr, according to police. Villanova spokesman Jonathan Gust would not say if university officials knew where Patel had been drinking.
May 4, 1995 |
Michigan football coach Gary Moeller was so intoxicated after his arrest last weekend that jail officials refused to admit him, suggesting he be taken to a hospital to check for alcohol poisoning, police reports indicate. Moeller was arrested Friday night outside the Excalibur restaurant after punching an officer in the chest. Earlier, he had harassed a waitress, bothered other restaurant patrons and challenged the manager to a fight. Moeller, 54, has been suspended with pay pending the outcome of an internal investigation.
February 19, 2016 |
Mary Ciammetti teared up in her Conshohocken living room as she showed the video of her youngest son. It's been a little more than a year since he died of alcohol poisoning, despite his Temple University roommates' frantic attempts to save him with CPR. There was Christian Ciammetti having a bath in the kitchen sink at 16 months, then wearing a suit at First Communion. In his high school football uniform, with his girlfriend, at graduation, on skis, posing with a big fish he'd reeled in. Then the music - Avicii's "Wake Me Up" - stopped, and the images played silently: A refrigerator with empty liquor bottles and a red Solo cup. An unmade bed. A hospital room, with Christian tethered to a mesh of tubes and IVs. And finally, Christian lying in a casket in a red flannel shirt, dead at 20. He had been a junior, a young man with dyslexia who shined through his major, landscape architecture.
July 28, 2010 |
The second of two North Philadelphia teenagers who pleaded guilty to raping a classmate as she lay dying after a day of hooky and heavy drinking was sentenced Wednesday to 6 to 12 years in prison. Shareef Clemons, 18, said nothing before Philadelphia Common Pleas Court Judge Ellen Ceisler imposed a prison term agreed to as part of his guilty plea. Ceisler said that when Clemons gets out, he will be on five years probation and registered as a sex offender under the state "Megan's Law" for the rest of his life.
March 10, 2012
LANCASTER - A Lancaster County woman will spend six months in prison for the alcohol-related death of a teenager who passed out on her living room floor. Norma Edkin hosted at least 15 underage drinkers at her Mountville home at a June 2010 party that led to the death of Joseph Blankenmyer, 18, authorities said. Blankenmyer died of alcohol poisoning; his blood-alcohol level was between 0.357 and 0.438 percent the night he died, authorities said. Pennsylvania's legal threshold for intoxication is 0.8 percent.
June 2, 2004 |
A 16-year-old Monroe Township girl returned to school yesterday after spending the weekend in a hospital being treated for severe alcohol poisoning, police said. Police found the girl unconscious on a Clementon cul-de-sac early Saturday. Tests revealed her blood-alcohol level was 0.43 percent, more than five times the state's legal limit of 0.08 percent for impairment, Clementon Police Lt. David Kunkel said. "It's a good thing someone called 911," he said. "Another couple hours lying out there and she would have been dead" of alcohol poisoning.
August 28, 1997 |
It happened again. A young college student, partying with his buddies during fraternity rush, drank himself to death. This time the victim was Benjamin Wynne, 20, a Sigma Alpha Epsilon pledge at Louisiana State University. He had a blood alcohol level of .588 - nearly six times the limit at which a person's judgment is considered impaired. Deaths from drunkenness are relatively rare and usually involve inexperienced drinkers, medical experts said. "They get to college, and they don't know how to handle it," said Dr. Iris Reyes, assistant professor of emergency medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
March 1, 2002 |
Taking aim at a collegiate tradition, Rowan University has put the kibosh on kegs. School officials yesterday announced that the silver barrels of beer would no longer be permitted at parties hosted by Rowan's 25 fraternities and sororities. The policy is effective immediately. If a fraternity or sorority is found in possession of a beer keg, the house will be fined $500. Subsequent violations carry a $1,000 fine and revocation of student organization status. Some students yesterday were skeptical about the policy's likely effectiveness.
December 7, 1995 |
Four Rowan College students have been charged with furnishing alcohol to an underage person after an 18-year-old Glendora man died from excessive drinking at a party at their off-campus residence, police said. Charged with making alcohol available to persons under the legal age were Gayle DeFeo, 22, and Tara Schina, 21, both of Somerdale; and Nicole Carango, 21, and Donna Regan, 21, both of Laurel Springs. All four women attend Rowan College and reside together at the Crossings Apartments.
June 10, 2005 |
It was the sort of bad decision - skipping school and drinking booze - made too often by too many teenagers. Only this time, it meant that John C. Smyth would later be sitting in his South Philadelphia living room, talking about his eldest son in the past tense. John H. Smyth, 16, a sophomore at Masterman High School and an expert chess player, was found dead on Lincoln Drive in the Wissahickon section of Fairmount Park on Tuesday afternoon. After drinking shots of alcohol at a friend's house, Smyth tried to climb the steep sides of the roadway to reach a SEPTA station, police said.