CollectionsAltar Boy
IN THE NEWS

Altar Boy

NEWS
November 1, 2011 | By John P. Martin, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
A judge said Tuesday that a priest and a teacher accused in a lawsuit of raping a Northeast Philadelphia altar boy could not question the alleged victim until after their criminal trial on the charges next year. Common Pleas Court Judge William J. Manfredi denied the request by the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero to interrogate their accuser and be given access to his medical and personal records. He said the parties in the civil case would not have to exchange evidence until next July.
NEWS
September 28, 2013 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
PHILADELPHIA The Rev. Robert L. Brennan's name loomed large in the "Secret Archives," the guarded personnel files of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Brennan also figured prominently in Philadelphia grand jury reports in 2005 and 2011. In last year's trial of a church official for covering up clergy sex abuse, witnesses detailed allegations that Brennan sexually abused about 20 boys while being transferred from parish to parish over a span of 15 years. Brennan, however, was never charged because the allegations happened too far back to be prosecuted.
NEWS
February 28, 2014 | BY DANA DiFILIPPO & MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writers difilid@phillynews.com, 215-854-5934
THE LATEST young man to accuse a Philadelphia Catholic priest of molesting him as an altar boy told a jury yesterday that the experience so badly shocked, embarrassed and debilitated him that he turned to drugs, alcohol and multiple suicide attempts before reaching his teens. The slim man, dressed in a white shirt, black tie and slacks, emotionally spoke of being 10 years old in 1997 when the Rev. Andrew McCormick invited him to the priest's rectory bedroom at St. John Cantius Church in Bridesburg.
NEWS
September 27, 2013 | BY MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writer deanm@phillynews.com, 215-568-8278
A FORMER Philadelphia Catholic priest has been arrested and charged with sexually assaulting an altar boy, the Philadelphia district attorney announced yesterday. The Rev. Robert L. Brennan, 75, was arrested Wednesday night in Maryland and charged with rape and related crimes for allegedly abusing the boy from 1998 to 2001, when he was 11 to 14 years old. Brennan, who was in his early 60s at the time of the alleged assault, was an assistant pastor at Resurrection of Our Lord Parish, in the Northeast.
NEWS
February 4, 2013 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
The criminal case resulting from the serial sexual assault of a 10-year-old Northeast Philadelphia altar boy may well have ended with Wednesday's guilty verdicts against a priest and a former Catholic-school teacher. But the convictions of the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero have also opened the door for a civil lawsuit with the potential to reach beyond the two defendants into the hierarchy of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The lawsuit by the former St. Jerome's altar boy dubbed "Billy Doe" was filed in July 2011 in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court.
NEWS
September 11, 2003 | By Miriam Seidel FOR THE INQUIRER
A full house turned out Tuesday night to see the lineup of artists from the clan of hip-hop, assembled by director Jamie Merwin. As she meant it to, the electric program showed this already developed urban art form coming into its own as a place for full-spectrum artistic expression. Merwin and Raphael Xavier's Olive Dance Theatre made a meditative start, with Xavier and Bret Syfert circling warily, each seemingly busking for himself alone. The nine women of Mont?zh, with their high-volume 'tude and mix of shapes, sizes and colors, were way more fun than the Eagles cheerleaders, even if their aesthetic slid dizzily among jazz, club and hip-hop.
NEWS
October 20, 2011 | By John P. Martin, Inquirer Staff Writer
A former altar boy at a North Philadelphia parish filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing a priest of molesting him for three years in the 1990s and blaming church officials for not preventing the alleged abuse. Filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, the claim by the 28-year-old Philadelphia man said the Rev. William Ayres sexually abused him in the church and the rectory at Incarnation of Our Lord parish, as well as at other spots. The lawsuit names the man only as "John Doe 187. " His lawyers say Ayres and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia have been told his identity.
NEWS
January 25, 2013 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
The child-rape trial of a Philadelphia Catholic priest and an ex-parochial-school teacher goes to a Common Pleas Court jury Friday after the end of testimony and one defense lawyer's plea for acquittal. Burton A. Rose urged jurors not to convict former teacher Bernard Shero because of his awkward appearance or the salacious nature of the charges against him. In his closing Thursday, Rose read the list of charges against the 49-year-old, vision-impaired English teacher: rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, child endangerment, and two related counts.
NEWS
November 2, 2011 | By John P. Martin, Inquirer Staff Writer
A judge said Tuesday that a priest and a teacher accused in a lawsuit of raping a Northeast Philadelphia altar boy could not question the alleged victim until after their criminal trial on the charges next year. Common Pleas Court Judge William J. Manfredi denied the request by the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero to interrogate their accuser and be given access to his medical and personal records. He said the parties in the civil case would not have to exchange evidence until next July.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|