October 25, 2011 |
Philadelphia prosecutors have withdrawn their request for the treatment records of a former priest accused of molesting an altar boy, acknowledging that most of the files had either been destroyed or are protected by patient confidentiality laws. The decision came a week after a lawyer representing St. John Vianney, the Downingtown treatment center, said the state's Mental Health Procedures Act legally barred it from sharing its files. That same motion to quash the subpoena noted that the medical center typically destroys most patient records eight years after treatment.
October 11, 2013
A story Thursday incorrectly referred to a forthcoming new section of Sesame Place. The name of the attraction is Cookie's Monster Land. A photo Thursday with a story on online gaming at Atlantic City casinos was of the Revel, not the Borgata. A news item Wednesday about a bail reduction for the Rev. Robert L. Brennan, accused of sexually molesting an altar boy, incorrectly described the conditions of retirement imposed by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The archdiocese did not require Brennan to live in Maryland.
January 28, 2013 |
JURY DELIBERATIONS began Friday afternoon in the trial of a Catholic priest and a former Catholic-schoolteacher who are accused of sexually assaulting the same altar boy in the late 1990s. The Common Pleas jury got the case after hearing closing arguments from Assistant District Attorney Mark Cipolletti and defense attorney Michael J. McGovern, who represents the Rev. Charles Engelhardt, 66. Defense attorney Burton Rose, who represents Bernard Shero, 50, gave his closing argument Thursday.
July 24, 2015 |
Twice, the Rev. Andrew McCormick went to trial in Philadelphia for allegedly sexually assaulting an altar boy almost 18 years ago in a Bridesburg parish. Twice, Common Pleas Court juries failed to reach a verdict. Now, three months after the District Attorney's Office announced it would not retry McCormick and withdrew the charges, the now-27-year-old former altar boy has sued McCormick and the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The lawsuit under the pseudonym John Doe was filed July 10 in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court and seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for emotional and other injuries sustained by the alleged victim.
August 22, 2012 |
This story has been updated. It took less than a week for the District Attorney's Office to make good on a promise to refile felony charges against the latest Catholic priest accused of sexually molesting a child. The refiled charges against Father Andrew McCormick, 56, were received Tuesday by the Court of Common Pleas. Municipal Judge Karen Yvette Simmons held McCormick for trial on Aug. 16 on four misdemeanor charges related to an alleged incident with a 10-year-old altar boy in 1997 when he was a priest assigned to St. John Cantius Church in Bridesburg.
October 3, 2012 |
A Philadelphia judge Tuesday reinstated three felony charges against a Catholic priest who is accused of forcing oral sex on a 10-year-old altar boy in 1997. Father Andrew McCormick sat stoically at the defense table as Common Pleas Judge Paula Patrick held him for trial after a brief hearing on involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, sexual assault and statutory sexual assault. Those charges were dismissed by Municipal Judge Karen Y. Simmons following an August preliminary hearing, during which the now-24-year-old alleged victim testified that McCormick, 56, straddled him and put his penis on the victim's lips and on his teeth.
April 24, 2012 |
Edward Avery might be gone from the defense table at the landmark clergy-sex-abuse trial involving Archdiocese of Philadelphia priests, but he remains a pivotal figure in the case. On Monday, prosecutors and defense lawyers clashed over what jurors could and should be told about Avery, a defrocked priest who was removed as a defendant last month after his last-minute plea to charges that he sexually assaulted a 10-year-old altar boy. Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina suggested that jurors could even hear from Avery himself.
March 22, 2012
T HE JUDGE in the clergy-sex-abuse trial ruled yesterday that the jury can hear about the troubled past of one priest's accuser. Common Pleas Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said attorney Michael Wallace, who represents defrocked priest Edward Avery, can tell jurors about the man's expulsion from the Catholic high school he attended in the early 2000s, and of discrepancies in the man's related civil lawsuit and his grand-jury testimony. Avery, 69, is charged with sexually assaulting the man when he was a 10-year-old altar boy in the 1990s.
January 30, 2013
The Philadelphia Common Pleas Court jury evaluating the child-rape case against the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and former parochial-school teacher Bernard Shero will return Wednesday after a second full day of deliberations without a verdict. The jury of eight men and four women, which deliberated for two hours on Friday, followed by seven-hour days Monday and Tuesday, broke only to send a request to Judge Ellen Ceisler to have portions of the transcript involving Shero read back to them.