CollectionsAltar Boy
IN THE NEWS

Altar Boy

NEWS
November 18, 2014 | By Joe Dolinsky, Inquirer Staff Writer
A former Catholic priest convicted of sexually abusing a 10-year-old boy at a Northeast Philadelphia parish from 1998 to 1999 died Sunday, just weeks after an appeal of his conviction was heard before the state Supreme Court. The Rev. Charles Engelhardt, 67, of Wynnewood, was in the second year of a six- to 12-year sentence at the Coal Township Prison in Northumberland County, stemming from his 2013 conviction. Engelhardt died at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, the Associated Press reported.
NEWS
March 22, 2012
T HE JUDGE in the clergy-sex-abuse trial ruled yesterday that the jury can hear about the troubled past of one priest's accuser. Common Pleas Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said attorney Michael Wallace, who represents defrocked priest Edward Avery, can tell jurors about the man's expulsion from the Catholic high school he attended in the early 2000s, and of discrepancies in the man's related civil lawsuit and his grand-jury testimony. Avery, 69, is charged with sexually assaulting the man when he was a 10-year-old altar boy in the 1990s.
NEWS
January 30, 2013
The Philadelphia Common Pleas Court jury evaluating the child-rape case against the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and former parochial-school teacher Bernard Shero will return Wednesday after a second full day of deliberations without a verdict. The jury of eight men and four women, which deliberated for two hours on Friday, followed by seven-hour days Monday and Tuesday, broke only to send a request to Judge Ellen Ceisler to have portions of the transcript involving Shero read back to them.
NEWS
March 7, 2014 | BY MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writer deanm@phillynews.com, 215-568-8278
THE PHILADELPHIA Catholic priest on trial for allegedly molesting an altar boy in 1997 was suspended from ministry in 2011 after he twice gave deceptive answers during polygraph tests when asked about touching children's genitals, a prosecutor said yesterday. The revelation about the Rev. Andrew McCormick, 57, was made in court by Assistant District Attorney Kristen Kemp. It was made following the closing arguments by defense lawyer William J. Brennan and after the jury had been escorted from the room.
NEWS
August 7, 2005 | By Nancy Phillips, Mark Fazlollah and Craig R. McCoy INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
When the Rev. James Gigliotti told church officials in the early 1980s that a Northeast Philadelphia priest was molesting boys, he remembers receiving a stern warning. "This comes from the highest authority: You're to keep your mouth shut," Gigliotti said an assistant chancellor told him. The Philadelphia Archdiocese quickly removed the accused priest, the Rev. James J. Brzyski, from his parish in the Fox Chase section. But the archdiocese did not tell parishioners the reason.
NEWS
October 13, 2011 | By John P. Martin, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Citing patient confidentiality laws, the treatment center where the Archdiocese of Philadelphia sent priests accused of molestation says it is legally barred from turning over records to prosecutors in the looming child sex abuse trial of four current and former priests. In a motion filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, a lawyer for the St. John Vianney Center in Downingtown asked a judge to quash Philadelphia prosecutors' subpoena for one patient's files. The motion says the Pennsylvania Mental Health Procedures Act prohibits it from releasing the records.
NEWS
January 16, 1998 | By Erin Einhorn, INQUIRER CORRESPONDENT
A priest who says he is seeking treatment for a "sex addiction" admitted yesterday in Bucks County Court that, over the course of three years, he supplied an altar boy with beer, shared a bed with him, hugged him, and kissed him on the lips. The Rev. Michael Swierzy, 49, of Downingtown, a former principal of Cardinal Dougherty High School in Philadelphia, who most recently ministered at St. John the Evangelist church in Lower Makefield Township, pleaded guilty to one count of corruption of minors and was sentenced to five years' probation.
NEWS
January 9, 2013
Six more jurors were picked Tuesday for the Philadelphia Common Pleas Court trial of a priest and a former parochial-school teacher charged with sexually assaulting a 10-year-old altar boy at a Northeast parish in the late 1990s. The six men selected on the second day brought the total to 10. Three women and a man were selected Monday. Prosecution and defense lawyers and Judge Ellen Ceisler will resume the selection process Wednesday in the hope of getting a jury of 12 and several alternatives to hear the trial of the Rev. Charles Engelhardt, 66, and Bernard Shero, 49. The pair are accused of serially molesting a fifth grader at St. Jerome's parish and school in 1998 and 1999.
NEWS
August 17, 2012 | By John P. Martin, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
A municipal judge stunned Philadelphia prosecutors today when she threw out the most serious charges against a former Roman Catholic pastor accused of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old Philadelphia altar boy in 1997. Judge Karen Simmons ruled after the alleged victim testified that the Rev. Andrew McCormick led him to his rectory bedroom in the city's Bridesburg section one evening in 1997, stripped to his boxers, straddled the altar boy and tried to force him to perform oral sex. McCormick's lawyer, William J. Brennan, argued that the allegations didn't justify felony sexual assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse charges because there was "absolutely no evidence" of clear penetration, as he said the law requires.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
|
|
|
|
|