January 8, 2014 |
MONSIGNOR William Lynn left court yesterday afternoon swarmed by reporters and a few hecklers, the latter shouting "pedophile," saying he should "burn in hell" and telling him to stay away from their children. Stern-faced and 80 pounds thinner than when he was sent to prison, Lynn, 63, ignored both the reporters and the hecklers as he and his supporters walked quickly across Filbert Street. Lynn, accused of moving pedophile priests from parish to parish, was convicted in 2012 on one count of child endangerment.
January 5, 2014 |
THE ARCHDIOCESE of Philadelphia for the first time yesterday confirmed that it paid the $25,000 needed to bail out Monsignor William Lynn so that he could be released from state prison while prosecutors appeal his recently overturned conviction for child endangerment. In a statement yesterday, Archbishop Charles Chaput said the decision to provide the $25,000, or 10 percent of Lynn's $250,000 bail, was made at "my direction. " "Monsignor Lynn remains on administrative leave," Chaput said.
January 3, 2014 |
MONSIGNOR William Lynn has not been released from state prison in northeastern Pennsylvania yet, but life is looking rosier for him in the new year. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia on New Year's Eve posted $25,000, or 10 percent of his $250,000 bail, enough to free him. But Lynn, the Archdiocese's former secretary for clergy, still needs to have his electronic-monitoring system set up and may not be freed "until the end of the week or next week," his attorney, Thomas Bergstrom, said yesterday.
January 3, 2014 |
THE LAWYER representing the Catholic church official whose child-endangerment conviction was overturned last week by the state Superior Court said yesterday that District Attorney Seth Williams was "unprofessional" for criticizing the ruling and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia's decision to pay his client's bail. Thomas Bergstrom said he will send letters to the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania detailing Williams' misconduct in response to Monsignor William Lynn's case.
January 2, 2014 |
PHILADELPHIA District Attorney Seth Williams blasted the Archdiocese of Philadelphia on Tuesday for helping Msgr. William J. Lynn post bail after an appeals court overturned his conviction for crimes related to sex abuse in the church. Lynn needed to post 10 percent of the $250,000 bail set by Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina. Williams said the archdiocese posted the $25,000. The archdiocese, through a spokesman, would only confirm that it assisted with Lynn's bail.
January 1, 2014 |
The Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia's bid to lease its 13 cemeteries to StoneMor Partners L.P. for $89 million to be paid over 35 years has a date in Orphans' Court next week. Officials with the archdiocese and StoneMor have said they expect to easily clear the hurdle Monday, but there has been one hitch. The hearing in Orphans' Court, which must approve certain deals involving charitable assets, was originally scheduled for Dec. 11, but Judge John W. Herron pushed the hearing back to allow more time to publicize the deal, announced in September.
December 31, 2013 |
DISTRICT ATTORNEY Seth Williams is taking an appeals-court ruling to the state Supreme Court in attempt to keep Monsignor William Lynn behind bars. But Lynn - whose felony child-endangerment conviction was overturned in state Superior Court last week - could walk free any day this week by posting 10 percent of $250,000 bail, which was granted yesterday by Common Pleas Judge M. Teresa Sarmina. "We can say with great confidence that the way the Superior Court read this law is not how this law is supposed to work," Williams said during a news conference yesterday.
December 17, 2013 |
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced Sunday the suspension of a priest who it had allowed to continue working for nearly a year after multiple accusers alleged he had sexually abused them. It was only after "multiple, new allegations" surfaced within the last two months against the Rev. John P. Paul, formerly of Our Lady of Calvary Parish in Northeast Philadelphia, that church officials decided to place him on administrative leave last week. As has been its practice, the archdiocese declined Sunday to release any details about either the old or new allegations against Paul except to say that in all cases, his accusers said they were abused more than 30 years ago. Paul, 67, could not be reached for comment Sunday.
December 16, 2013 |
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has permanently removed five parish priests from ministry over allegations of sexual abuse or misconduct, including one priest who had previously been investigated and returned to duty last year. An archdiocesan review board had cleared the Rev. Michael A. Chapman in May 2012 of an abuse allegation involving a minor. But within months, a new accuser came forward with allegations dating back 30 years. In a statement expected to be released in parishes across the region Sunday, the archdiocese said the board substantiated new abuse accusations against Chapman and deemed him "unsuitable for ministry.
December 8, 2013
A headline on a story Friday about Catholic Church finances misstated the subject of the article, which referred to the improving financial situation of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. In a Food section story about the 40th anniversary of Friday Saturday Sunday, a slogan on T-shirts worn by servers was incorrectly ascribed to owner Weaver Lilley. The shirts read, "40. Not me the restaurant. "