CollectionsArchdiocese
IN THE NEWS

Archdiocese

BUSINESS
January 1, 2014 | By Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writer
The Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia's bid to lease its 13 cemeteries to StoneMor Partners L.P. for $89 million to be paid over 35 years has a date in Orphans' Court next week. Officials with the archdiocese and StoneMor have said they expect to easily clear the hurdle Monday, but there has been one hitch. The hearing in Orphans' Court, which must approve certain deals involving charitable assets, was originally scheduled for Dec. 11, but Judge John W. Herron pushed the hearing back to allow more time to publicize the deal, announced in September.
NEWS
December 31, 2013 | BY JENNY DeHUFF, Daily News Staff Writer dehuffj@phillynews.com, 215-854-5218
DISTRICT ATTORNEY Seth Williams is taking an appeals-court ruling to the state Supreme Court in attempt to keep Monsignor William Lynn behind bars. But Lynn - whose felony child-endangerment conviction was overturned in state Superior Court last week - could walk free any day this week by posting 10 percent of $250,000 bail, which was granted yesterday by Common Pleas Judge M. Teresa Sarmina. "We can say with great confidence that the way the Superior Court read this law is not how this law is supposed to work," Williams said during a news conference yesterday.
NEWS
December 17, 2013 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced Sunday the suspension of a priest who it had allowed to continue working for nearly a year after multiple accusers alleged he had sexually abused them. It was only after "multiple, new allegations" surfaced within the last two months against the Rev. John P. Paul, formerly of Our Lady of Calvary Parish in Northeast Philadelphia, that church officials decided to place him on administrative leave last week. As has been its practice, the archdiocese declined Sunday to release any details about either the old or new allegations against Paul except to say that in all cases, his accusers said they were abused more than 30 years ago. Paul, 67, could not be reached for comment Sunday.
NEWS
December 16, 2013 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has permanently removed five parish priests from ministry over allegations of sexual abuse or misconduct, including one priest who had previously been investigated and returned to duty last year. An archdiocesan review board had cleared the Rev. Michael A. Chapman in May 2012 of an abuse allegation involving a minor. But within months, a new accuser came forward with allegations dating back 30 years. In a statement expected to be released in parishes across the region Sunday, the archdiocese said the board substantiated new abuse accusations against Chapman and deemed him "unsuitable for ministry.
NEWS
December 8, 2013
A headline on a story Friday about Catholic Church finances misstated the subject of the article, which referred to the improving financial situation of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. In a Food section story about the 40th anniversary of Friday Saturday Sunday, a slogan on T-shirts worn by servers was incorrectly ascribed to owner Weaver Lilley. The shirts read, "40. Not me the restaurant. "
NEWS
December 7, 2013 | By Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writer
The painful financial restructuring underway in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia made substantial progress in the year ended June 30, a report released Thursday showed. The central financial office of the archdiocese lost $4.9 million in fiscal 2013, down from $17.6 million the year before, not counting unusual income and expenses in both years. Including those unusual or one-time items, such as $11.9 million in legal and professional expenses in fiscal 2012 and $10.3 million from the sale of real estate in 2013, the improvement in results for the Office for Financial Services, was even more dramatic.
SPORTS
November 27, 2013 | BY AARON CARTER, Daily News Staff Writer cartera@phillynews.com
ROMAN CATHOLIC High School athletic director Sean Fitzherbert has been placed on administrative leave after school administrators received an allegation late last week of "inappropriate conduct via computer technology with a minor attending Father Judge High School," according to a statement released by the school last night. Fitzherbert has been relieved of all duties within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and, per archdiocesan policy, the allegation was shared with the Philadelphia Police Department's Special Victims Unit, which is handling the investigation.
NEWS
November 15, 2013 | By Julie Zauzmer, Inquirer Staff Writer
Two days after Cardinal O'Hara High School principal Marie Rogai was abruptly fired, parents expressed frustration Wednesday at what they perceived as a lack of communication from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Superintendent of Secondary Schools Carol Cary told about 100 parents gathered in the school auditorium that the archdiocese felt the school needed a new leader right away. "It couldn't have waited any longer," she said. She said she would not answer any questions, but many stood up to shout questions anyway.
NEWS
November 15, 2013 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
A month ago, Deborah McIlmail learned that her troubled 26-year-old son, Sean, had died of an accidental drug overdose. On Wednesday, McIlmail took an unusual first step to memorialize her son's passing - by filing a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, contending that church officials ignored years of complaints against the Rev. Robert L. Brennan while he molested Sean and more than 20 other boys. "This is his [Sean's] legacy," McIlmail, 57, told reporters at a Center City news conference.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
|
|
|
|
|