October 6, 1988 |
Although Upper Dublin school officials feared they would find dangerous amounts of asbestos at the Jarrettown Elementary School, tests last week found no cancer-causing fibers. Upper Dublin School District facilities director John Parker said Monday that the air collected in the Friday and Saturday tests would be subjected to further laboratory tests to be certain that there is no deteriorating asbestos in the school's 34-year-old heating system. Federal guidelines require deteriorating asbestos-containing materials to be removed or contained if tests show that there is more than 0.01 of fibers per cubic centimeter in the air. Asbestos has been shown to cause lung cancer and other diseases.
March 20, 1988 |
The Wenonah School Board on Tuesday night selected Testwell Craig Testing Laboratories of Westville to test for and identify asbestos in the Wenonah Public School, which houses 185 students. According to Robert Campbell, the vice president of Testwell Craig, the inspection should take about one day and is expected to cost $2,000 to $2,500. A date had not been set for the work to begin. "Inspections are done at a rate of about 20,000 square feet per day at $40 per bulk sample," Campbell said.
September 25, 1988 |
The Southeast Delco School District will request an extension from the state Department of Education to submit an asbestos emergency-management plan later than the Oct. 12 deadline. During a regular meeting Thursday night, the Southeast Delco school board voted, 5-2, to request an extension, with school board Vice President C. Franklin Hall and board member Joseph G. Jones dissenting. School board President Lynn Krautheim and board member Robert D. Bell Jr. were absent. After the meeting, school board secretary James A. Asciutto said the federal Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act mandated that the district submit an asbestos emergency-management plan by Oct. 12. Asciutto said that an inspection of schools had been completed and that a final report and plan might be completed on time.
January 30, 1986
One of the major obstacles to regulating the production of and exposure to most chemicals suspected of being hazardous to human beings always has been a lack of incontrovertible scientific evidence linking cause and effect. Exposure to dioxin, for example, is presumed to cause cancer. Consumption of food contaminated with the pesticide kepone is believed to damage the central nervous system. Contact with water containing the solvent TCE is thought to cause birth defects. But nobody can say for certain.
May 11, 1989 |
The concourse level of the Municipal Services Building - a government crossroads for citizens paying tax bills and applying for zoning permits - should be evacuated immediately because of crumbling asbestos, a municipal workers union said yesterday. "I'm concerned about asbestos contamination of the people who work there and the public," said Thomas Cronin, president of District Council 47, after taking his case yesterday to Managing Director James S. White. Cronin said rainwater leaking onto the ceiling of the below-ground concourse was causing asbestos-coated material to fall into a large central lobby.
November 19, 1991 |
A Georgia Tech researcher envisions the day when he can drive to an old building, pull out an asbestos blaster and turn the carcinogen into driveway gravel. Lou Circeo, director of Georgia Tech's Construction Research Center, is refining an asbestos-melting process that he says would reduce the amount of asbestos that is dumped into landfills. The method uses a new technology - the plasma arc torch - that produces an ionized gas that heats to 7,000 degrees Celsius. It melts asbestos into harmless chunks of gray, glasslike rock that Circeo says can be used as gravel or concrete aggregate or molded into products such as bricks.
February 9, 1992 |
In the midst of an asbestos cleanup of a Bucks County apartment complex, the complex's management has criticized the Environmental Protection Agency, saying it distributed a "misleading" fact sheet about the cleanup. But about 45 angry residents of the complex, the Salem Harbour Apartments in Bensalem, lambasted the management during a meeting yesterday morning. They said they trusted the EPA. Salem Harbour hastily called yesterday's session on Friday night, hours after the federal agency sent residents a three-page fact sheet about the cleanup of asbestos shingle debris at the complex.
August 2, 1989 |
The Springfield Township Board of Education, alleging breach of contract and negligence in the scheduled cleanup of an elementary school, has filed a $130,000 suit against an asbestos-removal company. The lawsuit, which was filed July 14 in Superior Court in Burlington County, alleges that Eastern Environmental Services Inc. of Secaucus, Hudson County, breached its contract with the school board by failing to remove "any and all of the asbestos on the pipes" underneath the Springfield Elementary School on Jacksonville Road, as well as several bags of asbestos left in the crawl space.
October 22, 1986 |
The Haddonfield Public Library is scheduled to operate out of borough hall on Kings Highway above Haddon Avenue for eight to 10 weeks beginning Nov. 19 while asbestos is removed from ceilings and pipes in the library building. Library director Doug Rauschenberger said last week that asbestos ceiling plaster in the new sections of the library and asbestos insulation on the boiler and pipes posed no present health hazard to the public or library staff, but could release hazardous particles in the future.
December 30, 1988 |
Three employees of a Philadelphia recycling company were charged yesterday with criminal violations of the federal Clean Air Act in the dumping of a truckload of asbestos in unauthorized areas three years ago. Alex Fineman, Gregory Boone, and Michael D'Avocato, employees of HMC Recycling Corp. of Philadelphia, were charged with the violations in a five- count information filed in federal court by the U.S. Attorney's Office. The alleged illegal dumping occurred when Boone and D'Avocato drove a trailer "loaded with bags of asbestos-containing waste material" from an unidentified site in Philadelphia to Chesapeake City, Md., where most of it was dumped, the information said.