March 23, 2015 |
Give credit to Superintendent William Hite: He stepped forward Thursday and said his district has a plan for the thousands of unused books that sit in the basement of the School District headquarters and in shuttered Bok High School. "It is totally and wholly unacceptable to have usable, relevant teaching and learning materials in storage when our students and teachers need these materials in our schools," he said. "I will take full responsibility if in fact there are usable and relevant teaching and learning materials.
March 12, 2015 |
We know enough now about the death of Firefighter Joyce Craig to say that many things went wrong the night she lost her life battling a West Oak Lane basement blaze. It's also clear that Craig's death is wrapped up in a larger problem: The Fire Department needs to recommit to giving its members the training they need and want. Craig's professionalism and bravery are not in question. Neither is the bravery of other firefighters who gave their lives battling fires in recent years: Lt. Robert Neary and Firefighter Daniel Sweeney, killed in 2012 when a roof collapsed in an abandoned factory in Kensington.
February 27, 2015 |
STAFFORD TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Investigators said Wednesday that an explosion that leveled a house and injured a dozen people Tuesday was caused by gas from a two-inch street main on Oak Avenue that leaked into the house and was ignited by a utility flame in the basement. Minutes before the explosion, police evacuated residents of the neighborhood following reports of a heavy odor from a chemical added to natural gas. As utility workers tried to find the leak's source, the house exploded at 10:32 a.m. Among those injured were utility workers, firefighters, and emergency medical responders.
February 14, 2015 |
The students leaned in for a better look at their subject - a flattened skeleton, curled up and encased in a brown gunk of dirt and wax. "I've never been this up close and personal with something . . . that old," said Carly Sokach, 21, a University of Pennsylvania senior. That's 5,300 years old. The skeleton was excavated from a 50-foot pit in Iraq in 1930, packed in a crate and shipped to the Penn Museum. Not much more was known about it. For decades, the skeleton had rested in obscurity, with no paperwork to explain its provenance.
February 8, 2015 |
Thanks to his older brother, Mike McLaren may never grow a mustache. Much to his babysitter's dismay in the early 2000s, the youngest of three future La Salle wrestlers tussled over a plastic sword with his middle brother, Matt. The dispute ended with an emergency room trip and six stitches to Mike's upper lip. The oldest brother Andrew McLaren, an 18-year-old senior, remembers the incident as vividly as he remembers the family's unfinished basement with a mat, where the boys spent hours wrestling each other under their parent's supervision.
February 4, 2015 |
The DIY music scene is thriving in Philadelphia. And the do-it-yourself ethos extends to how emerging bands get their music recorded. Take PUDH, a former DIY venue/house in Lansdowne, whose basement seems better suited for an Evil Dead remake than a makeshift recording studio. Members of the band Snoozer now call its basement home. Vocalist and guitarist Tom Kelly, who lives there with his two bandmates, says he has recorded demos for his band there. "We put the mics in the ventilation ducts," he said.
January 5, 2015 |
Question: Last year, we bought a house in the suburbs, and we've decided that we'll need to refinish part of the basement. The basement is very humid in the summer, and the dehumidifier we have isn't up to the job. The excessive moisture is creating mold problems, attracting bugs, and causing water stains on walls. We don't want to spend a lot of money to fix this problem. It is not water intrusion during heavy rains, but dampness. We have been told by some people we have brought in that we need a new heating/cooling system.
December 11, 2014 |
It's a sad day in Philadelphia when a firefighter is killed, even though it's accepted that facing death is part of the job. Added to the list of the fallen Tuesday was Joyce Craig-Lewis, 36, who died in the smoky haze of a basement fire inside a West Oak Lane home. She becomes the first female member of the Philadelphia Fire Department to die in the line of duty. An investigation is ongoing to determine how Craig-Lewis became isolated and trapped in the basement. Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer said basement fires are particularly challenging.
December 11, 2014 |
WHEN THEY are older, and showing their own children photo albums that have far too many blank spaces, Mehki Donte Green and Laylani Lewis will say that their mother died a hero on a soggy, bitterly cold day in Philadelphia. Their mom, veteran Philadelphia Firefighter Joyce Craig-Lewis, lost her life while battling a hellacious blaze in West Oak Lane in the early morning darkness yesterday, earning a heartbreaking place in the city's history as the first female firefighter to die in the line of duty.
November 21, 2014 |
CHRONICLING the recording of new music using long-lost lyrics by Bob Dylan, tonight's Showtime special "Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued" will have its biggest appeal to the boomer-era fans taking in Mr. D's shows at the Academy of Music this weekend. But the target demo could be lowered by the far more "current" artists who took on this time-warping collaborative mission - Marcus Mumford (Mumford and Sons), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops)