CollectionsBill Cosby
IN THE NEWS

Bill Cosby

NEWS
February 14, 2016 | By Laura McCrystal and Jeremy Roebuck, STAFF WRITERS
As his lawyers had vowed, Bill Cosby sought Friday to temporarily halt the sexual-assault prosecution against him while he challenges a Montgomery County judge's ruling that his case should proceed toward a trial. In filings with Pennsylvania Superior Court and the county court, the entertainer's defense lawyers said their claim - that Cosby had a legally binding agreement that he would never be charged - merits an immediate appeal. "If Mr. Cosby is successful on appeal, the case would be terminated immediately," they wrote.
NEWS
February 13, 2016
By Shari Botwin A Montgomery County judge ruled last week that the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby may proceed. For countless people who have suffered in silence, including more than 50 women who have alleged that Cosby attacked them, the prosecution shows that the world is starting to condemn this kind of behavior and listen to its victims. My hope is that this will help many more survivors speak up soon after a crime occurs. I have been counseling men and women who have experienced trauma and abuse for nearly 20 years.
NEWS
February 8, 2016 | By Laura McCrystal and Jeremy Roebuck, STAFF WRITERS
The sexual-assault case against Bill Cosby cleared its first major hurdle last week, when a Montgomery County judge rejected the entertainer's request to drop the charges because his defense team said they violated a non-prosecution pledge by a former district attorney. But the issue is far from over. Within hours of Common Pleas Court Judge Steven T. O'Neill's ruling Wednesday, Cosby's lawyers announced they would appeal - a move that, if allowed to proceed, could derail plans for a March 8 preliminary hearing on the evidence and tie up the case for months.
NEWS
February 6, 2016
ISSUE | BILL COSBY Castor's non-prosecution deal sounds fishy Bruce L. Castor Jr. testified that he verbally committed himself and the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office about 10 years ago to "never prosecute Bill Cosby" ("Cosby case to proceed," Thursday). There is no written record of that decision, either to support his testimony or bind his office. As a lawyer in an elected position of trust, it was Castor's responsibility to record such an agreement. If he neglected to do so, intentionally or otherwise, he failed his office and the public miserably.
NEWS
February 5, 2016 | By Chris Mondics, Staff Writer
Veteran prosecutors, using such words as extraordinary and unusual, said they were puzzled by the promise by former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. never to prosecute comedian Bill Cosby. Such deals rarely happen, the prosecutors said, simply because it is impossible to know what new information might emerge. And when the deals do emerge, they said, it is critical to get the agreement in writing. Castor testified Tuesday at a hearing on the aggravated indecent-assault charge against Cosby that his 2005 announcement not to file criminal charges amounted to a pledge that his office, and his successors, had dropped the case forever.
NEWS
February 5, 2016
BILL COSBY'S LUCK ran out on a dark and rainy Wednesday in a Norristown courthouse. He lost the legal battle, but I suspect, unhappily, that he will win the war. Common Pleas Judge Steven O'Neill nixed Cosby's motion to dismiss the sexual-assault charges brought against him in December. The 78-year-old entertainer argued that he was shielded by a promise to not prosecute made a decade ago by then-Montgomery County D.A. Bruce Castor. My colleague Jenice Armstrong fumed Wednesday that Castor didn't prosecute Cos and seemed to be blaming the victim.
NEWS
February 5, 2016 | By Jeremy Roebuck and Laura McCrystal, STAFF WRITERS
A Montgomery County judge on Wednesday rejected Bill Cosby's efforts to have his sexual-assault case dismissed, ruling that prosecutors were not legally bound by a former district attorney's promise that the entertainer would never be charged in an alleged 2004 attack. The decision by Judge Steven T. O'Neill clears the way for the only criminal charges filed since a wave of accusations emerged against the 78-year-old celebrity. O'Neill ordered Cosby to return for a March 8 preliminary hearing.
NEWS
February 4, 2016 | By Maria Panaritis, Staff Writer
Outside the Norristown courthouse, stragglers smoking cigarettes gawked or guffawed over the rows of satellite TV trucks and scores of journalists. The first major hearing of Bill Cosby's sexual-assault prosecution brought a media spectacle unlike any in the municipality's history, not to mention dashes of drama inside the Montgomery County Courthouse. But out on the street, Norristown mostly shrugged. "It's one great adventure," quipped Darrell Mayo, 54 - a toothpick dangling from his mouth as he sashayed past the courthouse - "without the rides.
NEWS
February 4, 2016
BILL COSBY'S tattered reputation might be front and center now, but so is that of his alleged local victim, Andrea Constand. My mind couldn't help but go there Tuesday evening as I read about the latest installment in the Cosby comedown earlier in the day in the courthouse in Norristown. Former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. was on the witness stand for nearly six hours telling a judge that although he believed Constand's allegations, he had concerns over inconsistencies in her story.
NEWS
February 4, 2016 | By Jeremy Roebuck and Laura McCrystal, STAFF WRITERS
Bruce L. Castor Jr. told a judge Tuesday that he couldn't remember every detail from his decade-old investigation of Bill Cosby, but on one point the former Montgomery County district attorney was certain: His 2006 declaration that he would not pursue sex-assault charges on claims by a former Temple University employee amounted to a pledge that none of his successors would, either. "Mr. Cosby was not getting prosecuted at all - ever - as far as I was concerned," Castor said. "My belief was that I had the power to make such a statement.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|