February 4, 2016
BILL COSBY'S tattered reputation might be front and center now, but so is that of his alleged local victim, Andrea Constand. My mind couldn't help but go there Tuesday evening as I read about the latest installment in the Cosby comedown earlier in the day in the courthouse in Norristown. Former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. was on the witness stand for nearly six hours telling a judge that although he believed Constand's allegations, he had concerns over inconsistencies in her story.
February 1, 2016 |
Bruce L. Castor Jr. has said he thought Bill Cosby was guilty. He has said he would like a chance to prosecute the comedian himself. But Castor has also said his declaration that he would not charge Cosby in 2005 - when he had the chance as Montgomery County district attorney - might prevent prosecutors from now pursuing their sexual-assault case against the comedian. How Castor reconciles these positions is likely to play a central role Tuesday at the first pivotal court hearing since Cosby's arrest last month.
February 1, 2016
For Immediate Release February 17, 2005 Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor, Jr. has announced that a joint investigation by his office and the Cheltenham Township Police Department into allegations against actor and comic Bill Cosby is concluded. Cosby maintains a residence in Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County. A 31 year old female, a former employee of the Athletic Department of Temple University complained to detectives that Cosby touched her inappropriately during a visit to his home in January of 2004.
January 30, 2016 |
Bill Cosby's defense team on Thursday accused Montgomery County prosecutors of playing "gotcha" with his rights by ignoring what they said was a valid, decade-old agreement not to charge him, even if it was never put in writing. The District Attorney's Office "cannot rely on the fact that the agreement was not reduced to writing as a basis for shirking its obligation," defense lawyer Brian McMonagle wrote in a filing that again urged a judge to throw out the sexual-assault case against Cosby.
January 26, 2016 |
Like a video clip on replay, it has become a recurring scene in the media frenzy over Bill Cosby's sexual-assault case: Gloria Allred, in her signature crimson blazer, positioned before a bank of microphones and flanked by alleged Cosby victims. As they tell tearful stories Allred leans in, places a comforting arm around their shoulders, and nods sympathetically. But it's never long before Allred unleashes a slashing challenge. "We expect to take the deposition of Bill Cosby, not the friendly father figure of television's Dr. Huxtable," Allred says at one news conference.
January 25, 2016 |
The question of why Bill Cosby spoke so openly about his sexual relations with women at his civil deposition in 2005 has vexed attorneys and other close followers of his case since last summer's revelations of the incriminating nature of his testimony, including this exchange: Question: When you got the Quaaludes, was it in your mind that you were going to use these Quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with? Answer: Yes. Representing Cosby in the civil case against the claims of Andrea Constand was Patrick O'Connor, founding partner and vice chairman of Cozen O'Connor, one of Philadelphia's largest law firms, and a fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
January 24, 2016 |
A Montgomery County judge on Friday said he would limit a Feb. 2 hearing to arguments by Bill Cosby's lawyers that the District Attorney's Office violated a 2005 non-prosecution agreement when it charged the entertainer with sexual assault last month. With his one-paragraph order, Judge Steven T. O'Neill turned aside a request by District Attorney Kevin Steele for the case to proceed first with a preliminary evidentiary hearing. O'Neill wrote that he would not hear arguments on other matters raised by Cosby's defense, limiting the hearing to the issue that has become a pivotal question in the case.
January 22, 2016
A FORMER resident of a North Philadelphia homeless shelter allegedly went on a shooting rampage early Sunday morning, killing one shelter employee and wounding another before escaping on foot. Although the incident was reported by local news stations and the Daily News , police didn't release the identity of the alleged gunman until the following day. Had this horrific incident occurred elsewhere - such as inside a school or house of worship - it would have been treated much differently.
January 22, 2016 |
Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman didn't waste time after receiving an email last fall from her predecessor, Bruce L. Castor Jr., outlining why he thought Bill Cosby had a legally binding agreement protecting him from prosecution for an alleged 2004 sexual attack. Within a day, Ferman replied, in a bid to settle the issue. She and her investigators had talked to lawyers for Cosby and his accuser, Andrea Constand, and neither had documentation of any deal, she wrote.
January 20, 2016 |
A decade ago, Bruce L. Castor Jr. vowed that his announcement that he would not charge Bill Cosby in connection with an alleged sexual attack on a Temple University employee would be his final word on the topic. As Cosby now awaits trial on the same accusation, the case could hinge on what the former Montgomery County district attorney says next. Castor stands by his claim that he granted Cosby an oral "non-prosecution agreement" in 2005 - and is likely to say as much if he testifies at a pivotal hearing in two weeks.