August 7, 1994 |
Officials here are still trying to determine why people inside the Mandee Shop in the New Britain Village Shopping Center experienced breathing difficulties Tuesday, forcing the shop's evacuation and sending 12 people to local hospitals. Township Fire Marshal Robert V. Cotton said Thursday that the cause of the problem was still a mystery. The store, which was closed after the 4:30 p.m. incident, reopened Wednesday afternoon after investigators checked to see whether an air-conditioning unit was faulty and tested the air quality.
November 1, 1994 |
A 72-year-old man accused of shooting a 3-year-old girl in the head during a domestic dispute over the weekend was hospitalized yesterday after having difficulty breathing. According to police, Lester Jordan was transported to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital after he started having breathing problems in a cell room in the Police Administration Building. Jordan was arrested Sunday after Paula Piliro was shot in the head when he allegedly fired a rifle at the car her mother was driving.
April 13, 2015 |
NICOLE JONIEC'S biggest regret, five years after moving into a century-old townhouse in South Philadelphia with her husband and their two cats, is that she didn't zoom out a little more when she had checked out her new address on Google Maps. Joniec, 37, who works at the Free Library, said she now feels "silly" that she didn't realize how close they would live to the ancient, sprawling refinery on the banks of the Schuylkill then owned by Sunoco and which today - with a new owner, Philadelphia Energy Solutions - is booming with crude oil fracked in North Dakota.
August 9, 2006 |
Vince Bernardo, a former standout lineman at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, died yesterday morning after falling ill while participating in a practice drill for Shippensburg University's football team. According to university officials, Bernardo was running 110-yard sprints when he began to struggle with his breathing. The 6-foot-2, 270-pound freshman offensive lineman was alert and responsive when first looked at by a team trainer, officials said. But his condition worsened, and he was administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation by emergency personnel before being taken by ambulance to Chambersburg Hospital.
September 14, 1998 |
If your child's at the bottom of the class, the reason may be in his throat. A new study published in the journal Pediatrics found that removing a child's tonsils and adenoids can lead to better grades, presumably because the surgery allows for a better night's sleep. Enlarged tonsils and adenoids can lead to a condition called sleep apnea, in which breathing stops for short periods during sleep. Children in the study, who had been in the bottom 10 percent of their class and also had been diagnosed with sleep apnea, raised their grades from C-plus to B-minus in the year after their surgery, said David Gozal, a professor of pediatrics at Tulane University School of Medicine who conducted the research.
September 13, 1987 |
The South Coatesville Borough Council wants a meeting with the state Department of Environmental Resources after hearing results of a survey on respiratory problems in the area. Council President Worth M. Taylor said he instructed borough solicitor Michael McShane to set up a meeting with DER officials after William Lewis, organizer of an environmental group, told the council Tuesday that more than 90 percent of the 200 people who responded to a mail-in survey of residents in the industrial area have breathing problems.
September 21, 2000 |
Trent McCleary, the Montreal Canadiens winger who was nearly killed when struck on the throat by a puck last season in a game against the Flyers, retired yesterday, citing the injury as the reason. McCleary said the team doctor refused to clear him to play because he had breathing problems in the Canadiens' opening exhibition game last Sunday. "He said, 'This is dangerous,' " McCleary said of his conversation with Dr. David Mulder. McCleary said although the injury had healed enough for him to live a normal life, he had problems breathing while playing.
November 22, 1989 |
An employee of a Camden furniture store died from heart failure Monday, minutes after a woman bit him on the finger while the two were engaged in a heated argument over a late furniture payment, Camden police said yesterday. Bernard Rossin, 57, of the 7700 block of Dorcas Street in Northeast Philadelphia, started having difficulty breathing after the incident and was taken by ambulance to West Jersey Hospital-Camden, where he was pronounced dead. No charges were filed against the woman, according to George Kerns, spokesman for Camden County Prosecutor Samuel Asbell.
May 13, 1988 |
SUN AND SKIN. Yes, aging causes some skin problems. But "almost all the skin changes that people really don't like - wrinkling, roughness, sagging, bumps, irregular pigmentation, sallow skin tone - are attributable to sun damage, not age," an expert says in Glamour magazine. Want proof? Compare the fresh, smooth look of your generally unexposed-to-the-sun skin, say on the underside of your arms, to that on your face and hands, says Barbara Gilchrest, head of the dermatology department at Boston University's School of Medicine.
May 25, 2012 |
DALLAS - Miniature laundry detergent packets arrived on store shelves in recent months as an alternative to bulky bottles. But doctors across the country say children are confusing the tiny, brightly colored packets with candy and swallowing them. Nearly 250 cases have been reported this year to poison-control centers. Though they remain a tiny fraction of the thousands of poisoning calls received every year, doctors are concerned. The symptoms they see in connection with ingesting the packets - such as nausea and breathing problems - are more severe than typical detergent poisoning.