CollectionsCaesars Atlantic City
IN THE NEWS

Caesars Atlantic City

FEATURED ARTICLES
BUSINESS
March 17, 2005 | By Suzette Parmley INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Gary DiBartolomeo, the former president of Caesars Atlantic City who was stripped of his casino license four years ago because he lied about his gambling addiction, got his license reinstated and a second chance yesterday. "Thank you very much," said a barely audible DiBartolomeo, after the New Jersey Casino Control Commission, which regulates gambling in Atlantic City, voted, 5-0, in favor of reissuing him a license. With that, DiBartolomeo got up and quickly left the room.
NEWS
September 17, 2016 | By Michael Boren, Staff Writer
An Atlantic City police officer who was shot in the head as he responded to a robbery outside a casino Sept. 3 left the hospital Thursday afternoon to applause from dozens of officers and other rescue personnel. Joshlee Vadell, 29, an expectant father, gave a thumbs-up, saluted, and waved as he was carried out of AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center on a stretcher and placed into an ambulance. Police said he was headed to a rehabilitation center. On Sept. 8, the department posted on its Facebook page that Vadell's ventilator had been removed and he was sitting up and talking.
BUSINESS
November 22, 2013 | By Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writer
Caesars Entertainment Corp., which owns four casinos in Atlantic City, on Wednesday received permits from New Jersey casino regulators to participate in the "soft" launch of Internet gaming Thursday. The permits cover all four of Caesars' Atlantic City properties, but, to start, the Las Vegas company is only using Bally's Atlantic City and Caesars Atlantic City, Caesars spokesman Seth Palansky said. "We appreciate the licensing today by the Casino Control Commission and are excited to launch CaesarsCasino.com, HarrahsCasino.com and WSOP.com to those inside New Jersey's borders," Palansky said.
NEWS
June 29, 2014 | By Harold Brubaker and Jacqueline L. Urgo, Inquirer Staff Writers
The planned closure of the Showboat casino on Aug. 31 is a severe blow to its 2,100 workers and another deep bruise on the Atlantic City casino industry. But at a Friday afternoon news conference outside the Tanger Walk outlets, where a Bass Pro Shop is under construction, Mayor Don Guardian kept his chin up and said, "Atlantic City is still on the move despite this economic hiccup. " The mayor called the decision by Las-Vegas-based Caesars Entertainment Corp. to close Showboat "a shame," and said it would motivate him to "work 24/7 to bring new investment to Atlantic City.
NEWS
August 6, 1997 | By Jacqueline L. Urgo, INQUIRER CORRESPONDENT
The mythical god Poseidon will preside over an ornately columned Roman temple and aquarium where undersea earthquakes, shipwrecks and long-forgotten floor-of-the-ocean cities will appear hourly. And it will all be part of a $250 million renovation that will turn the stagnating Ocean One shopping mall into the Boardwalk's first entertainment and gambling facility, according to Caesars Atlantic City officials who unveiled the plan yesterday. The City Council is expected to render a final decision today on whether to change a zoning ordinance to permit gaming on the Boardwalk's once-popular piers, which stretch seaward from the wooden walkway.
BUSINESS
June 15, 2013 | By Wayne Parry, Associated Press
ATLANTIC CITY - Internet gambling isn't expected to start here until about Thanksgiving, but the 12 casinos must move fast to line up partners for their online operations. The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has told the casinos they have until June 30 to arrange Internet deals. The deadline is intended to give regulators time to examine the qualifications and backgrounds of companies that want to partner with the casinos, particularly since several foreign companies are considered likely to do so. For example, Bwin.party, based in Gibraltar, has inked a deal to partner with Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. Joe Lupo, Borgata's senior vice president, said the casino moved early to work with the firm.
NEWS
February 25, 2015 | By Amy S. Rosenberg and Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writers
Philadelphia developer Bart Blatstein's heralded entry into Atlantic City has hit an inconvenient snag: Caesars Atlantic City now claims he is a "rogue occupier" of the Pier Shops, which he wants to redevelop. In an odd series of court filings, Blatstein appears to have become ensnared in a fight with Kevin Ortzman, president of Caesars Atlantic City, which owns the pier, and says Blatstein is trespassing until it says he is not. Blatstein paid $2.7 million late last year for the right to assume the lease for the troubled high-end mall that juts out over the ocean, which he says he wants to transform into an entertainment venue modeled after places in Nashville; Austin, Texas; and Las Vegas.
NEWS
September 22, 1999 | By Amy S. Rosenberg, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Hotel workers who staged a three-day strike last week against nine casinos overwhelmingly ratified a new five-year contract yesterday. By a vote of 4,306 to 836, members of the union representing 14,000 bartenders, cocktail waitresses, food workers and housekeeping staff at the city's 12 casino hotels approved the contract, which their officials said gives them added job protection against subcontracting. "Overall, the subcontracting [agreement] is less than we wanted," Bob McDevitt, president of Local 54 the Hotel and Restaurant Employees and Bartenders International Union, said after the vote was tallied last night.
NEWS
April 3, 2015 | BY CHUCK DARROW, Daily News Staff Writer darrowc@phillynews.com, 215-313-3134
PREDICTING THE project will be "the greatest success of my career," Philly-based uber-developer Bart Blatstein didn't just unveil his plans for the long-beleaguered Pier Shops at Caesars shopping mall yesterday, he put his professional reputation on the line. "I've never failed in my career, I've never not picked an area that was going to turn around," Blatstein told an audience filled with political and business leaders at a lavish event held at the four-story complex that juts out over the Atlantic Ocean from the Boardwalk opposite Caesars Atlantic City casino-hotel.
SPORTS
August 6, 1998 | By Amy S. Rosenberg, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
New Jersey casino regulators yesterday lifted the four-year-old suspension of boxing promoter Don King, who, his lawyer said, might seek to promote an Evander Holyfield fight in Atlantic City as early as this fall. "I know he's excited about coming back to promote fights in Atlantic City," said attorney Philip Mizzone, who appeared yesterday before the state Casino Control Commission on behalf of King. The flamboyant 67-year-old King was acquitted on July 11 in U.S. District Court in New York in an insurance-fraud case that had threatened his boxing empire and had been the basis for his suspension in New Jersey.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
September 17, 2016 | By Michael Boren, Staff Writer
An Atlantic City police officer who was shot in the head as he responded to a robbery outside a casino Sept. 3 left the hospital Thursday afternoon to applause from dozens of officers and other rescue personnel. Joshlee Vadell, 29, an expectant father, gave a thumbs-up, saluted, and waved as he was carried out of AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center on a stretcher and placed into an ambulance. Police said he was headed to a rehabilitation center. On Sept. 8, the department posted on its Facebook page that Vadell's ventilator had been removed and he was sitting up and talking.
NEWS
April 3, 2015 | By Suzette Parmley, Inquirer Staff Writer
ATLANTIC CITY - Philadelphia developer Bart Blatstein paid a visit to this city Wednesday with his usual swagger as a doer vs. a talker. With more than 30 years as a developer, he boasted, he's done a lot on the other side of the river transforming neighborhoods, such as Northern Liberties, with hip restaurants and new housing behind his company, Tower Investments Inc. Now Blatstein has his sights on a down-on-its-luck, moribund high-end mall -...
NEWS
April 3, 2015 | BY CHUCK DARROW, Daily News Staff Writer darrowc@phillynews.com, 215-313-3134
PREDICTING THE project will be "the greatest success of my career," Philly-based uber-developer Bart Blatstein didn't just unveil his plans for the long-beleaguered Pier Shops at Caesars shopping mall yesterday, he put his professional reputation on the line. "I've never failed in my career, I've never not picked an area that was going to turn around," Blatstein told an audience filled with political and business leaders at a lavish event held at the four-story complex that juts out over the Atlantic Ocean from the Boardwalk opposite Caesars Atlantic City casino-hotel.
NEWS
February 26, 2015 | By Amy S. Rosenberg, Inquirer Staff Writer
More from Bart Blatstein's Atlantic City adventure: On Tuesday, some tenants of the beleaguered Pier Shops came forward to blast Caesars for challenging whether the Philadelphia businessman has the right to redevelop the half-empty former luxury mall that juts out over the ocean. Blatstein, considered the mastermind behind the revival of Northern Liberties, paid $2.7 million in November to assume the mall's leases and has big plans for the place, but Caesars Atlantic City is withholding its approval.
NEWS
February 25, 2015 | By Amy S. Rosenberg and Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writers
Philadelphia developer Bart Blatstein's heralded entry into Atlantic City has hit an inconvenient snag: Caesars Atlantic City now claims he is a "rogue occupier" of the Pier Shops, which he wants to redevelop. In an odd series of court filings, Blatstein appears to have become ensnared in a fight with Kevin Ortzman, president of Caesars Atlantic City, which owns the pier, and says Blatstein is trespassing until it says he is not. Blatstein paid $2.7 million late last year for the right to assume the lease for the troubled high-end mall that juts out over the ocean, which he says he wants to transform into an entertainment venue modeled after places in Nashville; Austin, Texas; and Las Vegas.
NEWS
June 29, 2014 | By Harold Brubaker and Jacqueline L. Urgo, Inquirer Staff Writers
The planned closure of the Showboat casino on Aug. 31 is a severe blow to its 2,100 workers and another deep bruise on the Atlantic City casino industry. But at a Friday afternoon news conference outside the Tanger Walk outlets, where a Bass Pro Shop is under construction, Mayor Don Guardian kept his chin up and said, "Atlantic City is still on the move despite this economic hiccup. " The mayor called the decision by Las-Vegas-based Caesars Entertainment Corp. to close Showboat "a shame," and said it would motivate him to "work 24/7 to bring new investment to Atlantic City.
NEWS
November 26, 2013 | BY CHUCK DARROW, Daily News Staff Writer darrowc@phillynews.com, 215-313-3134
ASSUMING THE five-day test period that concludes today completes without a hitch, a new era of Atlantic City-based gambling ushers in tomorrow: Internet wagering. For the first time since the dice began to roll in May 1978, people who live in the Garden State will be able to legally gamble by simply using an Internet-connected device. Online betting is hoped to be something of a lifesaver for the financially beleaguered industry that has seen gross gaming revenues plummet by almost half since earning more than $5 billion in 2006 - a situation caused by the one-two punch of a still-sour economy and, more importantly, the explosion of casino gaming in neighboring states including Pennsylvania, which has surpassed AyCee as America's second-largest gambling jurisdiction (Nevada remains in the top spot)
BUSINESS
November 22, 2013 | By Harold Brubaker, Inquirer Staff Writer
Caesars Entertainment Corp., which owns four casinos in Atlantic City, on Wednesday received permits from New Jersey casino regulators to participate in the "soft" launch of Internet gaming Thursday. The permits cover all four of Caesars' Atlantic City properties, but, to start, the Las Vegas company is only using Bally's Atlantic City and Caesars Atlantic City, Caesars spokesman Seth Palansky said. "We appreciate the licensing today by the Casino Control Commission and are excited to launch CaesarsCasino.com, HarrahsCasino.com and WSOP.com to those inside New Jersey's borders," Palansky said.
BUSINESS
June 15, 2013 | By Wayne Parry, Associated Press
ATLANTIC CITY - Internet gambling isn't expected to start here until about Thanksgiving, but the 12 casinos must move fast to line up partners for their online operations. The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has told the casinos they have until June 30 to arrange Internet deals. The deadline is intended to give regulators time to examine the qualifications and backgrounds of companies that want to partner with the casinos, particularly since several foreign companies are considered likely to do so. For example, Bwin.party, based in Gibraltar, has inked a deal to partner with Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. Joe Lupo, Borgata's senior vice president, said the casino moved early to work with the firm.
NEWS
July 5, 2006 | By Joel Bewley and Lini S. Kadaba INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
The threatened shutdown of New Jersey's casinos had workers in this bustling resort yesterday fearing that it could become a ghost town. "The casinos keep this city alive," said Carmen Delgado, 36, echoing the sentiments of other employees in Atlantic City. The single mother of five, who makes $8 an hour at a Boardwalk pretzel shop, continued: "Without gambling, there is nothing to bring people here. Every business will suffer. " Her job is safe, but she worries for her mother and sister, who work for casinos.
1 | 2 | 3 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|