November 18, 2015 |
WITH CARBON monoxide incidents up in the city 41 percent over last year and with heating season underway, the Philadelphia Fire Department is reminding property owners and residents that state and local laws now mandate carbon monoxide alarms in all city dwellings. Although there hasn't been a carbon monoxide fatality in the city in two years, so far in 2015 the department has responded to 340 carbon monoxide incidents, up from 241 during all of 2014, said Executive Fire Chief Clifford Gilliam.
July 10, 2015 |
LAST WEEK, The New York Times tackled the quandary of outdoor wine drinking. Specifically: How does one enjoy a fine vintage on a picnic without the proper glassware? Indeed. For starters, everyone knows it's impossible to balance a crystal Champagne flute on a cashmere blanket. Never mind those pesky bugs swarming that 2005 magnum of Saint Emilion Grand Cru. But the big question on the south lawn at the summer estate is: Cabernet goblets or claret chalices? Oh, pooh! The servants simply cannot be trusted with the Waterford decanter - not after that disastrous outing in the Hamptons when Jeeves nearly knocked it over with a croquet mallet.
February 23, 2014 |
Cabin fever is taking hold across a huge chunk of the country these days. In communities such as mine, where plowing is what you do to the north 40 in early spring and salt is shaken only on food, confinement because of icy streets and sidewalks can be prolonged. And long-term confinement increases exposure to many household dangers, especially carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced when any carbon-based fuel is burned. Quoting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Deborah Hanson of alarm maker First Alert says carbon monoxide poisoning "puts more than 20,000 people in the hospital and is responsible for nearly 450 deaths every year.
November 13, 2013 |
For many who spoke up at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's public meeting here last week on limiting carbon pollution from power plants - no matter which side they took - it all came down to this: their children. "It's time to clean up the air for the health of our children," said Gretchen Dahlkemper-Alfonso, a Philadelphia mother of three and a leader of the environmental group Moms Clean Air Force. Bryan Palko was worried about his offspring, too, but for a different reason.
June 29, 2013 |
Janice Kenney had always lived in small spaces - rooms, for example, carved out of haylofts and paid for in barter by mucking stables - but it still took her the better part of a year to compress her 62 years of accumulated possessions into a tidy 72 square feet. Now, two years after moving into her grown-up playhouse - a wooden structure on wheels with a peaked roof, tiny porch, sleeping loft, and a few square inches of storage to spare - Kenney said the lifestyle change was entirely worth it. "You feel completely freed up. I had bins and bins of stuff in storage, and I had to move that stuff every time I moved," she said, relaxing in her diminutive dwelling, parked under a tree at the edge of a horse pasture in Kennett Square.
June 1, 2013 |
You think tree pollen has been in great quantity this spring? An environmental research firm hired by Honeywell looked into what air purifiers had captured over two months in houses in Los Angeles and New York City - not too far from us - and this is what was found: Black carbon - emission sources include diesel engines, vehicles, and residential heating. Heavy metals - trace metals include aluminum, chromium, nickel, tin and lead, a known neurotoxin. Sources often include paints and coatings, laser-printer ink jets, nail polish, motor oil, home cleaning detergents, fossil fuels or exhaust.
April 18, 2013 |
A Bucks County couple and their two children died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Monday when the husband committed suicide by leaving his car running in the garage and the others were overcome by the fumes. According to Pennsylvania state police, troopers responded around 11:20 p.m. to find the four family members - identified as Gary Reitnauer, 59; his wife, Michele, 58; and daughters Kimberly, 16, and Jamie, 10 - inside a residence on Kumry Road in Milford Township. None could be revived, police said.
January 22, 2013
CLAIRTON, Pa. - Carbon monoxide poisoning has been confirmed as the cause of death of a pair of lifelong friends in Western Pennsylvania, and authorities are urging people to be sure they have detectors for the colorless and odorless gas. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed Sunday that acute carbon monoxide poisoning killed William Chapman, 56, and Gary Townsend, 47, in their house Saturday. The Medical Examiner's Office ruled the deaths accidental and said the source of the carbon monoxide is still under investigation.
January 12, 2013
No to Hagel The last Republican-in-name-only brought in by a Democratic president to run the Pentagon and to give the chief bipartisan cover to starve the military (every Democrat's dream) was Bill Cohen, who served under Bill Clinton ("New team for security challenges," Tuesday). After four years under their feckless leadership and general lack of interest, our nation suffered the most deadly attack since Pearl Harbor. In fairness to Clinton, there was a relative calm in the world then, and Cohen was smart enough not to harbor oafish points of view, unlike Chuck Hagel, President Obama's nominee for defense secretary.
December 27, 2012 |
NEPTUNE, N.J. - In the wake of recent evacuations of thousands of students nationwide, a New Jersey schools group wants to mandate carbon monoxide detectors in schools. New Jersey School Buildings and Grounds Association officials, as well as some local fire officials, say schools would be safer if required to have the alarms. There have been nearly 20 evacuation incidents involving high levels of carbon monoxide in U.S. schools in recent years, but the devices are not required in New Jersey school buildings.