January 29, 2015 |
A Deafening Silence From Prosecutors What happened to John and Joyce Sheridan? Editorial, A14. Cooper University Health System CEO John P. Sheridan Jr. and his wife, Joyce, were found unresponsive and stabbed in their bedroom on a warm Sunday morning after a fire that was set swept through the second-floor room. Was it a murder-suicide - or were the prominent Skillman, N.J., couple brutally murdered? That's the question some who knew the couple, as well as outside homicide experts, are unable to answer, as much about the Sept.
October 8, 2014 |
A Bucks County man who helped his mother kill herself in a failed suicide pact was sentenced Monday to time served, about six months in jail, closing a rare case that began with a murder charge. In April, Gus Yiambilis, 30, and his mother Karen Yiambilis, 59, wrote several suicide notes before sealing their Bensalem apartment's vents and turning on a gas-powered electric generator. The fumes killed Karen Yiambilis, but her son survived after neighbors called police about the smell.
September 26, 2014 |
A Bucks County Court judge has thrown out the murder charge against a Bensalem man accused of killing his mother in a failed suicide pact. Ruling Tuesday on a defense motion, Judge Albert Cepparulo dropped charges of criminal homicide and causing a catastrophe against Gus Yiambilis, but left intact charges of aiding in a suicide, risking a catastrophe, and recklessly endangering another person. Attorney William Goldman, who represents Yiambilis and argued that the son showed no malice, said the parties were working on a plea deal.
August 9, 2014 |
Their intentions evidently were clear: A mother and her adult son penned several suicide notes on lined paper in their Bensalem apartment. "The negativity in this world is too much for us to deal with," Karen Yiambilis, 59, wrote that Monday night in April. "We are sorry but we wish to not deal with it anymore. We are going home to God. " Around 8 p.m., Gus Yiambilis, 30, started up a gasoline-powered electric generator that filled the apartment with carbon monoxide. Packing tape sealed the vents, windows, and doors.
July 18, 2014 |
AFTER MOVING out about a year ago, Keya Perry never let a day pass without checking on her parents. When no one answered her repeated phone calls Wednesday night, the Mount Airy woman hopped in a cab and hurried to her childhood home on Spangler Street near Sergeant in Strawberry Mansion. What she found sent her screaming into the night: the bodies of her parents, Algladis and Rufus Perry, sprawled on the stairs inside their cluttered home. Authorities initially suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and hustled firefighters to the scene.
February 23, 2014 |
Cabin fever is taking hold across a huge chunk of the country these days. In communities such as mine, where plowing is what you do to the north 40 in early spring and salt is shaken only on food, confinement because of icy streets and sidewalks can be prolonged. And long-term confinement increases exposure to many household dangers, especially carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced when any carbon-based fuel is burned. Quoting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Deborah Hanson of alarm maker First Alert says carbon monoxide poisoning "puts more than 20,000 people in the hospital and is responsible for nearly 450 deaths every year.
November 17, 2013 |
Q uestion: Our house was built in 1898. I am told we cannot use our fireplace unless we install a sleeve that would cost $3,000 to $6,000. As an alternative, is there such a thing as a gas-fired Franklin stove-type insert that could be put in without venting or, perhaps, with an exhaust pipe up the chimney? Since the fireplace is smack in the middle of the house, an insert could provide a true heat benefit. But I would prefer not to risk asphyxiation. Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.
November 11, 2013 |
This problem requires the assistance of the "Your Place" community. Please send in your ideas. Question: For at least eight months, there has been a subtle, rhythmic hum that is constantly audible throughout my house that everyone hears. The noise is always the same, with no change in the pitch or pattern. We turned off the main breaker to the house to determine if it might be coming from one of our home systems, and it was still audible. We can also hear it when standing outside of my house.
July 21, 2013
Ride accident injures seven SANDUSKY, Ohio - A boat on a thrill ride at an amusement park accidentally rolled backward down a hill and flipped over in water when the ride malfunctioned Friday, injuring all seven people on it. Operators stopped the Shoot the Rapids ride after the accident, which occurred on the ride's first hill, the Cedar Point amusement park said. Park police officers, medical technicians, ride operators, and park visitors helped the passengers off the boat. Cedar Point officials wouldn't say how the boat landed after rolling downhill.
April 18, 2013 |
A Bucks County couple and their two children died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Monday when the husband committed suicide by leaving his car running in the garage and the others were overcome by the fumes. According to Pennsylvania state police, troopers responded around 11:20 p.m. to find the four family members - identified as Gary Reitnauer, 59; his wife, Michele, 58; and daughters Kimberly, 16, and Jamie, 10 - inside a residence on Kumry Road in Milford Township. None could be revived, police said.