June 20, 1988 |
More than 20,000 people returned home yesterday after a two-day evacuation of neighborhoods choked by toxic fumes from a chemical plant fire that sent 275 people to the hospital. But 4,600 residents were barred from returning to their neighborhood near the smoldering factory that continued to flare up and spew deadly yellow-green gas. The plant makes chloride pellets for swimming pools. The fire began Friday when rain blew in a window of the Advanced Laboratories factory, reacting with chlorine pellets manufacturered for swimming pools, authorities said.
March 5, 1992 |
Chlorine is beginning to cause more environmental problems than it cures. But alternatives to the popular disinfectant may lead to higher rates for customers of the Downingtown Area Regional Authority (DARA), which is facing a 1994 deadline to switch to another way to treat its waste water. "The message is to use something other than chlorine," said Jack Robertson of Uwchlan Township, DARA chairman. "I'm sure every alternative is more expensive than chlorination. " Robertson has called a special meeting of the five municipalities that make up DARA to discuss the question - plus a sludge dewatering project and concerns raised by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency about enforcement authority at DARA.
July 10, 1997 |
Chlorine, the chemical disinfectant used in everything from drinking water to hot tubs to dolphin pens, has had a near-monopoly on sanitizing swimming pools in most places. But at least three area pools - the Rose Tree Woods Swim Club in Broomall, the Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, and one indoor pool at the Upper Main Line YMCA in Berwyn - have replaced their chemical filter systems with systems that use up to 95 percent less chlorine. The process - rarely used in Pennsylvania but more common in the West - is called ionization.
October 28, 2004 |
A spill of three gallons of liquid chlorine forced the closing of Lower Merion High School and the administration building yesterday morning. The accident occurred in the pool-filter room beneath the gymnasium during routine maintenance by a custodian, district spokesman Doug Young said. "He moved the chlorine, and it spilled," Young said. The worker, whom Young declined to identify, apparently was not injured but was taken to Lankenau Hospital "to be checked out. " Fumes from liquid chlorine produce a pungent odor that can burn eyes and nasal passages and irritate lungs.
July 21, 1990 |
Nearly 40 people were evacuated from a block in the city's Northern Liberties section yesterday morning after odorous fumes leaked from a trash truck carrying large containers of discarded chlorine powder. Residents were permitted back into the area within two hours of the incident, which took place at 9 a.m. in the 300 block of Fairmount Avenue. Four people complained of sickness, but no one was harmed, officials said. The trash truck was from the city's Department of Recreation.
July 1, 2012
An estimated eight people were hospitalized Saturday after a chlorination pump failure at Green Fields Swim Club in West Deptford caused chlorine vapors to be discharged into the air at the facility, said manager Dean Cooney. One of the club's three outdoor pools was shut for the rest of the day after the incident, which was reported to Gloucester County emergency dispatchers about 3:15 p.m. Four ambulances were sent to the scene on what was one of the hottest days of the year. - Maria Panaritis
November 20, 1991 |
Ray Forestal says the longest moment of his life was spent running in deep snow, still feeling the heat from a flaming tank car of phosphorus. Forestal, the fire marshal in Falls Township, Bucks County, had just helped move a rail car of potentially deadly chlorine away from the fire. Now he was running to jump aboard a locomotive that was slowly pulling away from the cars in Conrail's Morrisville yard. "I was afraid. I'm not kidding you, I've never been that afraid in my life," Forestal recalled.
February 28, 1990 |
For the bacteria in the Delaware River at Philadelphia, those months without chlorine were a banner season. Just a short period of releasing partially treated sewage into the river two years ago was enough to convince scientists that the waste still needs chlorine disinfection year-round. The Delaware River Basin Commission had hoped, in a just-completed study, to find that sewage plants could safely stop using chlorine in the colder months - thus saving money and keeping some toxic chemicals out of the river.
May 2, 1993 |
"Stop bleaching your kids," admonishes a flier circulated recently on the Main Line. "Doesn't your family deserve to swim in a chlorine-free pool?" Using those and similar sales lures, manufacturers of ion generators, an alternative to chlorine disinfectant, are pitching hard for customers throughout the region as the season for backyard swimming makes its annual splash. Billed as an odor-free substitute for harsh additives, ionization equipment purifies a pool by passing a weak electric current through copper and silver electrodes installed in the filtration system.
August 7, 1996 |
An overturned tank trailer loaded with chlorine prompted the evacuation early yesterday of several hundred overnight workers from industries in the Penn Warner Industrial Park, next to where the tanker overturned, spilling about 500 gallons. Minutes into the evacuation, as workers were being ordered to leave Heucotech Ltd. on Newbold Road, word came that the tanker contained adiluted form of the chemical. Further evacuations were called off. Falls Township Fire Marshal Ray Forestal said the mishap occurred at 2:24 a.m. on Newbold Road, shortly after the truck left the Wonder Chemical Co. on Canal Road.