November 20, 1991 |
The Securities and Exchange Commission said yesterday it was examining computer-generated program trading during last Friday's 120.31-point plunge in the Dow Jones industrial average. Several market participants said program trading continued in the final hour of plummeting prices - even after the Dow had fallen 50 points, tripping a New York Stock Exchange "circuit breaker" aimed at prohibiting some computerized trading. "Program trading accounted for a lot of the decline in the last hour," said Hugh Johnson, chief market analyst for First Albany Corp.
September 23, 2006 |
The underground electrical fire that led to the evacuation of 5,000 office workers near City Hall on Thursday apparently could have been avoided if a single circuit breaker had been closed, Peco said yesterday. Michael Wood, a utility spokesman, said Peco was trying to determine if human error or a mechanical malfunction was behind the circuit breaker failure. Since the utility might pursue litigation over the fire and power outage, Wood declined to identify the building where the problem originated.
January 5, 1988 |
The U.S. Justice Department says it will drop its challenge to Westinghouse Electric Corp.'s acquisition of Challenger Electric Equipment Corp. if part of the Malvern firm is sold. In legal documents filed last week, the Justice Department says it will not oppose the acquisition if Challenger sells its circuit-breaker plant in Albemarle, N.C. The Justice Department approved the purchase by Westinghouse of all other Challenger operations, including three circuit-breaker plants in Puerto Rico, at a price of $195 million.
August 25, 1987 |
A Detroit television station reported yesterday that the crew of Northwest Flight 255 had disconnected an alarm meant to indicate problems with the airplane's systems, but transportation officials discounted the report. The plane's cockpit voice recorder has shown no evidence that the alarm sounded before Flight 255 took off Aug. 16 from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The plane crashed just after takeoff, killing 154 people on board and two on the ground. It was the second-worst airplane disaster in the nation's history.
June 24, 1994 |
The sun came up and the power went down around most of downtown Trenton yesterday. The failure of one circuit breaker at Public Service Electric & Gas Co.'s Chauncey Street substation caused a blackout for about 45 minutes at the beginning of the business day. The power failure left 10,953 PSE&G customers without power from 8:12 to 9 a.m., said Neil Brown, a company spokesman. Government buildings, businesses and residences were affected by the outage. No major problems were reported as a result of the failure, said Charles Betz, the director of Trenton's Office of Emergency Management.
July 13, 2001 |
Start the "new" Greek Picnic weekend tonight by setting off aboard the Spirit of Philadelphia with the Ques and Ricky D. If you still have dance left in you after the Area: One Festival at the Tweeter Center on Saturday, cross the bridge to Shampoo for an after-party with Slynke, Julia Factorial, Imri, Zonel Smart, Circuit Breaker, Robbie Tronco, Jason Leroy and Carl Michaels. And, if you can get out of bed, don't miss Alex Adrock's "Everybody Loves the Sunshine" at Chrome on Sunday afternoons.
August 25, 2011 |
Service has been restored to all of the 20,000 customers affected by this morning's power outage in the Mayfair and Holmesburg sections of the city, PECO says. Most customers were without electric service for about three hours because of a circuit breaker that caught fire at an electrical substation on Rhawn Street, near Torresdale Avenue. And additional 5,000 finally had service restored by 11:30 a.m., according to PECO spokesman Ben Armstrong. Armstrong said PECO and fire officials responded to the small fire about 4:45 a.m. They were able to extinguish it by 7:30 a.m., but it took some time for crews to examine the extent of the damage.
August 20, 2009 |
Since it opened last year, Elissa Eystad said, strange things have happened at her candy store in Pitman. Boxes of chocolate and tubs of ice cream have vanished in the night. She found a crushed soda can on the ground with a cigarette inside, though none of her four female employees - including her three daughters - smokes. And she was perplexed when she came in to find the toilet seat raised. "I knew something was up. I just didn't know how and who or what," said Eystad, 40. Then, Saturday night, Pitman police came to her door with news of a video posted on a Facebook account.
January 9, 1998 |
Charlie Bellitto said yesterday that he didn't know what to think when he heard a loud boom and then a crash as he sat on a living room couch with his wife and two children watching a Pinocchio video. "First thing I thought was a plane had crashed," said Bellitto, 39, who lives in the 700 block of East Marshall Street with his wife, Barbara, 36, and children, Christina, 7, and Charlie Jr., 8. "Then I thought the Russians caught up with us or the Iranians finally got us. All I could think was this was the end. " Officials from Peco Energy Co. continued yesterday to investigate why a circuit breaker that connected two transformers blew up. A worker from a local glass company replaced the Bellittos' kitchen window, which was broken by the explosion.
April 5, 1995 |
This time it wasn't an overloaded circuit breaker or a fire-ravaged substation responsible for yet another power outage that affected 2,300 customers of Peco Energy Co. yesterday. It was simply Mother Nature. "She got us this time," said Lisa Moorhead, Peco spokeswoman. "There were no loading problems. It was the wind. " With the advent of a cold front, high winds blew into the area and swept a fence into Peco's mobile transformer on Holland Avenue, Moorhead said. The fence struck a service line that leads to the transformer, causing a couple of thousand customers to lose power.