CollectionsConcussion
IN THE NEWS

Concussion

NEWS
July 24, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Seven former NFL players have asked an appeals court to block the proposed concussion settlement between the league and more than 4,500 retirees, saying the deal does not adequately address the needs of all players. The group - which includes former Eagles wide receiver Sean Morey and safety Sean Considine - raised similar objections to the plan days before a federal judge in Philadelphia preliminarily approved it this month. The seven players' plea on Monday for intervention seeks to circumvent a process laid out by U.S. District Judge Anita Brody for registering formal opposition to the settlement plan.
SPORTS
July 9, 2014 | By Matt Gelb, Inquirer Staff Writer
MILWAUKEE - The latest sign this summer is luckless for the Phillies came Sunday evening when Cliff Lee planned to throw about 70 pitches for single-A Clearwater at Space Coast Stadium in Viera, Fla. A Florida thunderstorm suspended the game in the third inning; Lee was limited to 24 pitches in two innings. The Phillies offered Lee the option of finishing his outing in an indoor batting cage. Lee declined. The 35-year-old pitcher wants to test his strained left elbow against hitters.
NEWS
July 9, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Calling it a "significant improvement" over an earlier proposal, a federal judge in Philadelphia granted preliminary approval Monday to the NFL's second settlement offer to former players who sued the league over concussion-related health problems. The move came six months after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody rejected the first deal put forth by the league. It opens the door for more than 20,000 of the NFL's potentially eligible retirees to pursue claims as part of the class-action settlement.
SPORTS
July 3, 2014 | By Matt Gelb, Inquirer Staff Writer
MIAMI - The immediate sensation from being struck in the head by a 78-m.p.h. curveball was not enough to prevent Carlos Ruiz from catching the final three innings of a 14-inning win over the Marlins on Thursday. But Ruiz suffered a concussion that night, and there has been no progress since. His injury "is maybe a little more serious than we originally thought, unfortunately," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Tuesday. "He's had concussion issues in the past, so we have to be careful with him. " Ruiz did not travel with the team.
SPORTS
June 29, 2014 | By Bob Brookover, Inquirer Staff Writer
Catcher Carlos Ruiz was placed on the seven-day disabled list Friday night with concussion symptoms after being hit on the helmet by a pitch from Miami's A.J. Ramos in the 11th inning Thursday. Ruiz remained in the game during the Phillies' 14-inning win over the Marlins, but he was not in manager Ryne Sandberg's starting lineup Friday. Sandberg said Ruiz's condition was being monitored earlier in the day, but indicated that the catcher was just getting a day off following a 4-hour, 41-minute game.
SPORTS
June 27, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
The NFL agreed Wednesday to lift the $675 million cap on its settlement offer to former players suffering from concussion-related injuries - a move that league officials hoped would satisfy a federal judge who rejected an earlier plan over concerns that the money wouldn't last. Attorneys for the players and the NFL submitted their revised settlement proposal to Philadelphia-based U.S. District Judge Anita Brody six months after she refused to approve their first agreement. Even with the cap removed, both sides said they did not expect claims from the roughly 20,000 potentially eligible retirees to exceed their original $675 million target.
SPORTS
June 6, 2014 | BY TOM MAHON, Daily News Staff Writer mahont@phillynews.com
NFL COMMISSIONER Roger Goodell isn't going to like this: Variety reports that West Philly native Will Smith will star in a film about concussions in professional football. The news comes a week after another group of former NFL players filed a complaint in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia claiming the league knowingly failed to inform them there was a link between concussions and long-term health problems. That came on the heels of a class action - also filed in Philly - in which a $765 million settlement, reached by the league and former players last August, was declined by a judge who said it wasn't enough money to last over the 65-year span of the suit.
SPORTS
June 4, 2014 | BY TOM MAHON, Daily News Staff Writer mahont@phillynews.com
DAN MARINO has filed a lawsuit against the NFL, claiming he is suffering from concussion-related injuries, according to a report. The Los Angeles Times reported the former quarterback, who played his entire 17-year career with the Dolphins, is one of 15 former players to file a suit last week in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia. According to the report, the players claim the league withheld information about football-related brain injuries. They are seeking benefits and an unspecified monetary settlement.
SPORTS
May 8, 2014 | By Mike Sielski, Inquirer Columnist
Less than an hour after Craig Berube had confirmed that the Flyers considered Steve Mason healthy enough to tend goal for them again, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman treated the topic of concussions with a smugness that belied his league's substandard policy. This was Tuesday, April 22, before Game 3 of the Flyers-Rangers series, and Bettman had come to town for a quick news conference, a chance to tout Philadelphia's hosting the NHL draft in June. He was asked once about the secrecy surrounding Mason's "upper-body injury" and once about the intrinsic viciousness of the NHL's postseason, and taken together, his two answers were a jumbled justification for a culture and a concussion protocol that still place a player's utility ahead of his health.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|