July 15, 2013 |
In the weeks before the deadly Market Street collapse, the building's owner repeatedly warned top city officials and Salvation Army officials that the demolition could endanger the adjacent Salvation Army thrift store. But that did not prompt the city to step in. Nor did it stop the owner from rapidly demolishing the building - with devastating consequences. E-mails and letters reviewed by The Inquirer show repeated warnings about a possible collapse with potentially deadly results.
June 8, 2013 |
Mayor Nutter and Licenses and Inspection Commissioner Carlton Williams are to announce new proposed demolition standards and controls for the city. The move comes two days after six people were killed and 14 others injured when a Center City thrift store collapsed during the botched demolition of a building next door. The mayor, Williams and other city officials are to outline the proposed standards and controls at a 2 p.m. news conference at City Hall.
May 14, 1988 |
Camden's city-operated demolition program has not been insured since February, and it has no insurance policy to pay for the demolition accident that damaged a South Camden cabinet shop Wednesday, city officials said yesterday. But the city's risk manager, Bill Murray, said that while Cigna Corp. canceled demolition coverage from the city's $1.6 million premium, it may pay for at least some of the damage. He said Cigna was sending a representative to assess the damage to the cabinet shop.
November 27, 2013 |
"GREED. " That's what District Attorney Seth Williams says motivated contractor Griffin Campbell to allegedly cut corners and ignore safety when running the demolition project near 22nd and Market streets that caused the deaths of six people in June. A grand jury has charged Campbell with six counts of third-degree murder, six counts of involuntary manslaughter and other offenses that could put him behind bars for the rest of his life, Williams announced yesterday. "It was Campbell who decided on the method of demolition.
March 8, 2013 |
THE PHILADELPHIA Historical Commission is considering a rule change that critics say would make it easier to demolish historic buildings. The rule change would remove a requirement for owners to show they made an "attempt" to sell a property to receive a "financial hardship" to justify the demolition. On Wednesday, Ben Leech, director of advocacy for the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, sent out an "advocacy alert" calling on recipients to sign an online petition asking the commission to delay making any rule changes immediately.
March 8, 2000 |
Dust off the bulldozers and the wrecking ball. Wayne Spilove, who wants to build a 12-story self-parking garage with storefronts on Sansom Street near 16th, got a judge's go-ahead yesterday to begin tearing down 10 unoccupied buildings he owns on the block to make way for the project. But don't start your engines quite yet. Within hours of Common Pleas Judge Gerald Levin's ruling, Spilove's attorney, Carl S. Primavera, got a call from Mayor Street and agreed to postpone demolition until cost estimates come in for alternative plans that would keep the original facades.
May 13, 2012 |
No decision on demolition of cathedral buildings The Philadelphia Historical Commission failed to reach a decision Friday on whether to allow the Philadelphia Episcopal Cathedral to demolish two historic buildings in the 3800 block of Chestnut Street and erect a 25-story apartment tower on the site. The cathedral, around the corner on 38th Street, is seeking to tear down its own parish houses, designed over a century ago by noted church architect Charles Burns, who also designed the cathedral.
February 23, 1992 |
A group of Mount Holly residents has filed an appeal in court against a Planning Board decision allowing the demolition of the 19th-century Newbold House on Madison Avenue. Moorestown lawyer Alfred Faxon, hired by the group last week, filed the appeal in Superior Court on Tuesday. Faxon said the appeal contends that the Planning Board adopted the resolution allowing the demolition of the building by its owner, Memorial Hospital of Burlington County, "without sufficient findings.
November 23, 1991 |
The state Supreme Court yesterday cleared the way for the demolition of Ardmore Junior High in Lower Merion, affirming two Commonwealth Court orders that approved the Lower Merion School District's decision to tear it down. School board solicitor Charles Potash yesterday called the 6-1 decision, issued without opinion, "a complete legal victory. The school district can proceed unfettered to tear down the building. " Outgoing board President J. Roger Williams, who lost his bid for re- election this month, said, "I'm pleased that our position prevailed.
April 30, 1992 |
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources will shut down a Langhorne Borough demolition contractor if he continues to operate without state permits for dumping and burning, a DER official said. Ronsin, an industrial demolition and recycling business that operates on a nine-acre property at 550 N. Pine St., became the focus of concern earlier this month after a fire. A firefighter was injured in the April 4 blaze, which started in a pile of demolition debris. Vernon Jacobs, borough fire marshal, appealed to the Borough Council April 8 for state intervention to determine what chemicals and materials were being stored on the property and whether they were hazardous to the community.