CollectionsDemolition
IN THE NEWS

Demolition

NEWS
April 30, 1992 | By Michael A. Renshaw, INQUIRER CORRESPONDENT
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources will shut down a Langhorne Borough demolition contractor if he continues to operate without state permits for dumping and burning, a DER official said. Ronsin, an industrial demolition and recycling business that operates on a nine-acre property at 550 N. Pine St., became the focus of concern earlier this month after a fire. A firefighter was injured in the April 4 blaze, which started in a pile of demolition debris. Vernon Jacobs, borough fire marshal, appealed to the Borough Council April 8 for state intervention to determine what chemicals and materials were being stored on the property and whether they were hazardous to the community.
NEWS
July 30, 1989 | By Suzanne Gordon, Inquirer Staff Writer
The Lower Merion school board has delayed the awarding of contracts for the demolition of Ardmore Junior High School because the state Department of Education has not approved the demolition. The board, which had planned to meet at 8 a.m. Thursday to award the contracts, canceled that meeting late Wednesday after learning that the plans were still under consideration at the state level. The low bids, totalling $1.5 million, include the demolition project and renovation of the junior gymnasium, which will be maintained.
NEWS
August 17, 1990 | By Henry Goldman, Inquirer Staff Writer
Fervent opposition from neighborhood groups and architectural preservationists had no impact yesterday on officials of the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp., who said they would continue their pursuit of state money for the demolition of John F. Kennedy Stadium. "The last thing we need in this city is another hole in the ground," said architect Gray Smith, who described the stadium as a valuable asset. "Demolition seems to be the only answer that the City of Philadelphia has," he said.
NEWS
February 12, 1992 | by Dave Davies, Daily News Staff Writer
City Council has asked for a 90-day stay of execution for the historic Victory Building, which could be facing the wrecking ball in a matter of weeks. Council unanimously approved a non-binding resolution introduced by Democrat Joseph Vignola aimed at saving the ornate office building at 10th and Chestnut Streets. The building's owner, investor Sam Rappaport, won a victory last week when the Board of Licenses and Inspections Review overturned the Historical Commission's denial of his application for a demolition permit.
NEWS
April 2, 1987 | By Katharine Seelye, Inquirer Staff Writer
The house on County Line Road in Bryn Mawr that was ordered demolished last week has been spared the bulldozer - at least for now. The lawyer for the owners has appealed the order, which was issued on March 25 by Justice Robert Burton in Haverford Township District Court. The house, a stately old dwelling at 109 County Line Rd., had fallen into disrepair. No one has lived in it since 1979. After neighbors made repeated complaints about the house and a pregnant teenager was found living there, the township took the owners, the O'Connor family of Linden Drive in Havertown, to court.
NEWS
May 23, 1991 | By William H. Sokolic, Special to The Inquirer
A symbol of faded promises began tumbling down this week. After hovering over the Boardwalk at Albany Avenue for more than a dozen years, the rusting steel girders of the proposed Dunes Hotel & Casino are finally coming down, closing a financially muddled chapter in the history of this gambling resort. As Boardwalk gawkers watch, huge cranes carry men with torches who disassemble girders at the top of the four-story framework, while a piece of heavy equipment bites chunks out of metal posts on the ground.
NEWS
March 8, 2013 | BY VALERIE RUSS, Daily News Staff Writer russv@phillynews.com, 215-854-5987
THE PHILADELPHIA Historical Commission is considering a rule change that critics say would make it easier to demolish historic buildings. The rule change would remove a requirement for owners to show they made an "attempt" to sell a property to receive a "financial hardship" to justify the demolition. On Wednesday, Ben Leech, director of advocacy for the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, sent out an "advocacy alert" calling on recipients to sign an online petition asking the commission to delay making any rule changes immediately.
NEWS
March 14, 2015 | By Allison Steele, Inquirer Staff Writer
Camden's plan to rid its streets of close to 600 vacant and dilapidated buildings, which has stalled in recent months due to problems with the contracts that were awarded, moved out of the hands of city officials Thursday as the Camden County Improvement Authority took control. The authority has been assisting Camden from the beginning but will now have a lead role via a shared-services agreement. Since announcing the project last year with much fanfare, city officials have struggled to get it off the ground.
NEWS
April 22, 1988 | By Thomas Turcol, Inquirer Staff Writer
Mayor Goode, fighting off a torrent of criticism by Logan residents and potentially embarrassing legislation in the state Senate, says he has no plans for wholesale demolition of about 1,000 Logan-area homes because of deteriorating soil conditions. In a letter to the residents and to the entire state Senate, Goode also said his administration is committed to saving those homes that pose no danger to occupants. The letter reiterated the city's intention to demolish 205 homes that are sinking into ash and cinder fill that was discovered when exploding gas pipes destroyed two homes in February 1986.
NEWS
February 8, 2014 | By Bob Warner and Troy Graham, Inquirer Staff Writers
PHILADELPHIA A five-bill package intended to strengthen the city's regulation of demolition practices, impose more requirements on contractors, and demand closer supervision by city inspectors won unanimous passage in City Council on Thursday. Many of the changes - such as requiring safety plans as part of an application for any demolition permit - have already been implemented by the Nutter administration, spurred by the building collapse in June that killed six people at 22d and Market Streets.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
|
|
|
|
|