December 3, 1986 |
The state Division of Gaming Enforcement has recommended the denial of a casino license to a high-ranking official of Showboat Inc., casting a cloud over the Las Vegas-based firm's plans to open a casino-hotel in Atlantic City early next year. In a report released yesterday, the DGE said that John D. Gaughan, a shareholder and member of Showboat Inc.'s board of directors, should be denied a license because of past criminal charges and his association with reputed organized-crime figures.
December 5, 1986 |
Declaring that their company's 30-year history has been untainted by criminal wrongdoing or mismanagement, Showboat Inc. officials expressed confidence yesterday in a Showboat executive criticized by New Jersey officials and predicted that he and the firm would be licensed to operate a casino in Atlantic City. In a statement late yesterday, Showboat officials took issue with a report released earlier this week by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) recommending the denial of a casino license to John D. Gaughan, one of Showboat's top officials.
September 23, 1997 |
After a yearlong investigation that has spanned the globe, the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has found no reason why Sun International Hotels Limited, the Bahamas-based company that has purchased Resorts and has ambitious renovation plans for the aged Boardwalk casino, should not receive a gaming license. The DGE's report was released yesterday as the Casino Control Commission began what is expected to be several days of hearings on Sun's request to be deemed "qualified" to hold a gaming license in New Jersey.
January 24, 1986 |
Gov. Kean has nominated Anthony J. Parrillo to head the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, the state agency that polices Atlantic City's 11 casino-hotels. Parrillo has served as deputy director of the DGE since June 1982 and has been acting head of the agency since last November. Parrillo's nomination, announced by Kean on Wednesday, must be approved by the state Senate. In an interview yesterday, Parrillo said that one of his main priorities was to conduct a "comprehensive review" of the New Jersey Casino Control Act. He said the DGE would study whether reforms needed to be made in the state laws governing casino-sponsored trips, known as junkets, for high- rolling gamblers.
May 5, 2010 |
ATLANTIC CITY - Joseph N. Merlino, his mother Phyllis and the construction company they own were granted the right to work on casino construction projects Wednesday by the New Jersey Casino Control Commission. The unanimous ruling by the five-member panel capped a contentious and often acrimonious licensing hearing and ended a 20-year fight by the Merlinos to shed the allegation that they have ties to organized crime. In approving casino service industry licenses for the Merlinos and their firm, Bayshore Rebar of Pleasantville, the commission ratified a hearing examiner's recommendation and rejected a strongly worded list of objections filed by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
April 6, 2010 |
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement fired a verbal blast at a Casino Control Commission hearing examiner Monday, contending that the agency had "distorted" facts and ignored evidence in recommending that relatives of a jailed mob boss be granted a casino service-industry license. The recommendation was "replete with distortions of testimony and proven facts and/or selective omission of critical facts and testimony," attorneys for the DGE wrote in a blistering 24-page list of exceptions to findings of William T. Sommeling.
November 26, 1986 |
The state accused the Trump's Castle Hotel & Casino and two of its top officials yesterday of violating New Jersey gaming laws by improperly dipping into the casino's travel expense fund to help a baccarat player pay off $50,000 in gambling debts. The charges, filed by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE), name the vice president for casino operations, the casino's vice president and treasurer, and four other employees as participants in the scheme, which state regulators termed a deliberate attempt to circumvent New Jersey gambling laws.
April 30, 1986 |
The Casino Control Commission yesterday unanimously ordered the Division of Gaming Enforcement to conduct a "full and expeditious investigation" into allegations that New Jersey officials - including those of the DGE itself - abused their authority over the licensing process. The allegations were contained in a Daily News series last week that outlined the experiences of Francis J. Kelly, 46, a former casino executive who secretly supplied information about organized crime to law enforcement authorities.
November 4, 1989 |
Back from his break, Joel Respes was ready to supervise the action at Craps Table No. 8 at Caesars Atlantic City Hotel-Casino. But Respes' supervisor told him that Caesars did not want him anywhere near Craps Table No. 8 that Saturday night in 1988. The reason? The color of his skin. Respes is black. That same night, Caesars has acknowledged, two female casino workers were also moved from Table No. 8 solely because of their sex. And a woman who worked as a supervisor, employed to keep an eye on players and dealers, says she was told to not even look at the table, though Caesars disputes her version of the events.
November 1, 2012 |
With their financial losses mounting, the Atlantic City casinos stand prepared to open their doors as soon as Gov. Christie's evacuation order is lifted. When that might be is anyone's guess. Lisa Spengler, spokeswoman for the state Division of Gaming Enforcement, said Wednesday that DGE director David Rebuck was "in ongoing dialogue with the Governor's Office, state and local officials, and the Atlantic City casino executives. " "No decision as to the reopening of the casinos will be made until such time as the governor's mandatory evacuation executive order is lifted and all safety issues surrounding Atlantic City, its residents, and visitors have been addressed," she said.