CollectionsDuke Lacrosse
IN THE NEWS

Duke Lacrosse

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
September 5, 2006 | Daily News staff and wire reports
The Duke men's lacrosse team was back at practice yesterday for the first time in 5 months. The last time the team practiced together, the players were determined to get back to the NCAA title game and win a championship that eluded them the previous season. Instead, everything was about to fall apart because of a rape scandal that would lead to charges against three teammates, the resignation of the longtime coach and the shutdown of a program poised to take its place among the best in the nation.
SPORTS
May 31, 2007 | THE INQUIRER STAFF
The NCAA has granted Duke's request for an extra year of eligibility for its men's lacrosse players after rape allegations led to the cancellation of much of last season. The decision, announced yesterday, affects 33 players who were not seniors during the 2006 season, and it grants them a fifth year of eligibility regardless of whether they play at Duke or another school. The NCAA says the number of black coaches in football and men's basketball increased by about 76 percent over the last decade.
SPORTS
April 11, 2007 | Daily News Wire Services
The three Duke lacrosse players who faced charges from a sexual-assault case are going to get off the hook, according to a television report. ABC News reported last night that the office of North Carolina attorney general Roy Cooper will announce he is dismissing all charges. The sources did not know when that might come. Collin Finnerty, Reade Seligmann and David Evans were charged with kidnapping and forcible sexual offenses, based on the claims of a dancer hired for a house party March 13, 2006.
SPORTS
May 30, 2007 | THE INQUIRER STAFF
Former Duke lacrosse player Reade Seligmann, cleared of rape charges after being sidelined from the sport for more than a year, will transfer to Brown University in the fall. "I am looking forward to just being a student again," Seligmann said in a written statement provided to the Associated Press by his attorney, Jim Cooney. Seligmann, from Essex Fells, N.J., said he appreciated the loyalty of his Duke teammates and coaches during the last year but was moving to Brown. "I know that they will understand why I cannot return to Duke," he said.
SPORTS
April 26, 2006 | THE INQUIRER STAFF
A Duke University lacrosse player charged with raping a stripper in North Carolina was ordered yesterday to stand trial in Washington on an unrelated assault charge from last fall. The assault charge against Collin Finnerty, 19, could have been dismissed if he completed 25 hours of community service and stayed out of trouble, but a Washington judge decided his arrest in the rape case violated that agreement. Finnerty and two friends are accused of punching a man after he told them to "stop calling him gay and other derogatory names," according to court documents.
SPORTS
July 22, 2006 | THE INQUIRER STAFF
John Danowski, whose son Matt is a senior and an all-American attackman for Duke, was named the Blue Devils' head lacrosse coach yesterday. Danowski, highly successful in 21 seasons at Hofstra, will take over for Mike Pressler, who resigned soon after a woman told police she was raped by three men during a March team party for which she was hired to perform as a stripper. A military jury in Washington recommended no punishment for Lamar S. Owens Jr., the former Naval Academy quarterback who was acquitted of raping a female midshipman but convicted on lesser charges of conduct unbecoming an officer and disobeying a lawful order.
SPORTS
May 18, 2012 | BY ALEX LEE, Daily News Staff Writer
IN FEBRUARY 2011, former Lower Merion High lacrosse star Jordan Wolf returned home as a Duke freshman. In only his third game, Wolf had minimal impact as the Blue Devils were upset by Penn, 7-3, at Franklin Field. Wolf will get another chance to shine at home on Sunday, when Duke takes on Colgate in the NCAA men's lacrosse quarterfinals at PPL Park in Chester. "The most important thing is to worry about the game and advancing, but it's definitely special to play in my hometown," Wolf says.
NEWS
April 12, 2007
"A TRAGIC RUSH to accuse" by an overreaching district attorney. That was the excuse that North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper gave for the 395-day nightmare that David Evans, Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty have gone through. In announcing yesterday that all charges had been dropped against the three former Duke lacrosse players, who had been accused of sexually assaulting an exotic dancer, Cooper blasted Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, whose mishandling of the case has landed him in front of an ethics board.
SPORTS
May 22, 2008 | By Kate Fagan INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Tony McDevitt was waiting in Raleigh, N.C., to board a flight to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when he received the phone call. McDevitt, a graduate of Penn Charter, was heading south of the border for his senior trip. He had received his Duke diploma. He had played what he figured to be his final collegiate lacrosse game, a 12-11 loss to Johns Hopkins in the NCAA championship. He had even accepted a job with Merrill Lynch in New York City. But then he heard the news he and his teammates had been waiting for: The NCAA had granted an extra year of eligibility to the Duke men's lacrosse players who lost their 2006 season amid a rape controversy.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
May 24, 2013 | By Matt Breen, Inquirer Staff Writer
Unseeded but not quite an underdog, Cornell heads to Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday in search of its first berth in the NCAA men's lacrosse title game since 2009. The Big Red fell in the Ivy League semifinals before rolling to two NCAA tournament wins over Maryland and Ohio State by a combined score of 32-14. Coach Ben DeLuca said he's not quite sure if the winning margins will be an advantage in the final four. "We're coming in with a great amount of confidence and we draw upon the experience we had throughout the season," DeLuca said.
NEWS
May 23, 2013
No.    Player   Pos.    Ht.       Wt.    Class    Hometown (HS)1    Kyle Turri    G    6-3    170    So.    West Islip, N.Y. (West Islip) 2    David Lawson    M    6-1    203    Sr.    Westford, Mass. (Middlesex) 3    Brendan Fowler    M    6-0    210    Jr.    Wantagh, N.Y. (Chaminade) 4    Dan Wigrizer    G    5-10    186    Sr.    Villanova, Pa. (Haverford) 5    Tanner Scott    M    5-11    177    So.
NEWS
May 22, 2012 | By Tyler Jett, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Twelve players from the Philadelphia area punched tickets to the NCAA men's lacrosse Final Four after wins Sunday at PPL Park in Chester. Notre Dame (13-2) outlasted Virginia (12-4) in the fourth quarter to knock out the defending national champion, 12-10, in front of 10,770 fans. In the other quarterfinal at PPL Park, Duke dominated Colgate for a 17-6 victory. Notre Dame will play Loyola-Maryland in the semifinals Saturday in Foxborough, Mass. Duke (15-4) will meet Maryland.
SPORTS
May 18, 2012 | BY ALEX LEE, Daily News Staff Writer
IN FEBRUARY 2011, former Lower Merion High lacrosse star Jordan Wolf returned home as a Duke freshman. In only his third game, Wolf had minimal impact as the Blue Devils were upset by Penn, 7-3, at Franklin Field. Wolf will get another chance to shine at home on Sunday, when Duke takes on Colgate in the NCAA men's lacrosse quarterfinals at PPL Park in Chester. "The most important thing is to worry about the game and advancing, but it's definitely special to play in my hometown," Wolf says.
SPORTS
September 27, 2011 | STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
THE ITALIAN team Virtus Bologna says its top offer to Kobe Bryant is a 1-year contract worth $5 million. With NBA players locked out, Virtus hopes the Los Angeles Lakers star agrees to a deal before he arrives in Italy this week for a tour arranged by one of his sponsors. A person who spoke on condition of anonymity told the Associated Press the other offers on the table include a 2-month deal worth nearly $2 million, a 1-month contract for $1.3 million or $900,000 for only one game.
SPORTS
February 27, 2011 | The Inquirer Staff
The Penn men's lacrosse team stunned No. 10-ranked Duke, 7-3, on Saturday at Franklin Field, holding the defending national champion Blue Devils to the program's lowest goal total in a game in 25 years. Penn, which was just 5-8 last year and 1-5 in Ivy League play, hasn't made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament since 1989. The Quakers were unranked in Lacrosse Magazine's preseason top 20 for Division I teams. In fact, four teams in the region - Princeton, Villanova, Drexel, and Delaware - were among that publication's top 20. Penn also was not ranked in the top 20 by Nike/Inside Lacrosse.
SPORTS
May 23, 2009 | By John Kopp FOR THE INQUIRER
Think of all the classic, goofy disguises athletes have donned through the years. Bobby Valentine's fake nose and glasses, Mike Schmidt's wig and Dwight Howard's Superman cape immediately come to mind. Ken Clausen went one step further, making his disguise a permanent fixture. Well, sort of. Two summers ago, the Virginia defender decided he'd get a mustache tattooed on his left index finger. Now, Clausen, a high-school all-American lacrosse player at the Hill School in Pottstown and a Downingtown native, can go from clean-shaven to scruffy in an instant simply by lifting his finger above his upper lip. "I got it for people to laugh at or with me," said Clausen, who is a junior at Virginia.
SPORTS
May 24, 2008 | By John Kopp FOR THE INQUIRER
Two years ago, Ken Clausen was a senior at the Hill School in Pottstown. Like many high school seniors, Clausen began preparing for college. He was headed to Duke to play lacrosse. Or so he thought. Then rape allegations against the Duke lacrosse team in 2006 rocked the nation, and, as the incident unfolded, Clausen was given the option to remain at Duke or look elsewhere. Initially, Clausen wanted to stay a Blue Devil, but when the possibility arose that the program could be cut, he decided to scan his options.
SPORTS
May 22, 2008 | By Kate Fagan INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Tony McDevitt was waiting in Raleigh, N.C., to board a flight to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when he received the phone call. McDevitt, a graduate of Penn Charter, was heading south of the border for his senior trip. He had received his Duke diploma. He had played what he figured to be his final collegiate lacrosse game, a 12-11 loss to Johns Hopkins in the NCAA championship. He had even accepted a job with Merrill Lynch in New York City. But then he heard the news he and his teammates had been waiting for: The NCAA had granted an extra year of eligibility to the Duke men's lacrosse players who lost their 2006 season amid a rape controversy.
NEWS
March 4, 2008 | By David Aldridge INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Tony McDevitt already has a Wall Street job waiting for him. But the 23-year-old graduate of both Duke University and Philadelphia's William Penn Charter School has some unfinished business to tend to first. He wants to win an NCAA men's lacrosse championship. A preseason all-American defenseman, McDevitt was granted a fifth year of eligibility by the NCAA in May in compensation for losing the 2006 season after false charges that three teammates had raped an exotic dancer.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|