December 2, 2011 |
Leonard Prybutok, 89, an electrician, educator, and ham radio operator who supplied communications during Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii in 1992, died of kidney failure Sunday, Nov. 27, at Atria, an assisted-living residence in Center City. Mr. Prybutok was an electrician at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for three years. Then for 20 years, he was a foreman and estimator for Peter H. Lowenthal & Co., an electrical contractor in North Wales. He was an active member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 98. In 1979, Mr. Prybutok changed careers and became a vocational education teacher at Dobbins Technical High School and then at Edison High School.
June 8, 1992 |
Patrick Narducci of Erdenheim, Montgomery County, a self-taught electrician and lifelong perfectionist who ran the family electrical business with his son and grandson, died Thursday at Chestnut Hill Hospital. Born in 1915 in Philadelphia, Mr. Narducci graduated from Roman Catholic High School and traveled the country doing odd electrical jobs. He then founded the Narducci Electric Co. of South Philadelphia, and eventually ran it with his son, Joseph A., and his grandson, Joseph E., as the only employees.
August 28, 1999 |
Richard S. Wells, 69, mayor of Tullytown and a former superintendent of buildings, died Tuesday at St. Mary Medical Center in Middletown Township, Bucks County. He had suffered from cancer for three years. A Democrat, he was elected to a four-year term as mayor in 1997 after serving on the Tullytown Borough Council since 1990. "He was a champion for seniors," said his wife of 46 years, Margaret Blankenship Wells. Mr. Wells, an electrician by trade, retired in 1992 after 12 years as supervisor of buildings at Pennsbury Manor, the historic home of William Penn north of Levittown.
January 29, 1989 |
Although a special amendment would allow him to be licensed as a West Chester electrician, longtime neighborhood activist Norman Bond is incensed with the restrictions that would be placed on him. "It seems like there's somebody in that office that just doesn't like me. . . . They just want to put a lot of restrictions on me," he said after last week's Borough Council meeting. "Why should I go all the way back to square one and do all this stuff when I've done all this stuff?" At the meeting, Borough Council members unanimously authorized the borough solicitor to prepare an amendment to the electrical code providing that an oral exam be administered on a one-time basis; if passed, a provisional license could be issued for residential work only, with a permanent license to be issued after mandatory inspection of the first three major residential rewiring permits; the same procedure would be followed for commercial and industrial work.
April 30, 1990 |
Rudolph J. "Rudy" Wolf, a retired electrician who wore his Philadelphian heart on his sleeve wherever he went, died Sunday. He was 83 and lived in Lansdale, Montgomery County. Many years ago, his daughters, Betty Rogers and Jane White, took Rudy and their mom, Elizabeth, on a trip to New England. While in Rutland, Vt., the girls thought it would be nice to take their parents to their first drive-in movie. "Before it became dark, he looked at all the parked cars looking for Pennsylvania tags and went up and struck up a conversation with them, asking where they were from," Rogers said.
June 25, 2010
Kenneth Lloyd Morse, 88, of Berwyn, an electrician and community volunteer, died of complications from a neurological disease Tuesday at Wayne Center. Mr. Morse was operating Ken's Electrical Service in Maine when he was recruited by Eastern Baptist College, now Eastern University, to work as head electrician. He remained at the school for 18 years. After retiring in December 1987, he volunteered for 13 years at Manor Care in King of Prussia. He visited residents and assisted with the guinea pigs, rabbits, and dogs that were used in the pet-therapy program, his daughter Bettie Ann Brigham said.
January 1, 1989 |
West Chester Borough Council President Ann E. Aerie requested that longtime neighborhood activist Norman Bond be given an electrician's license, even though he has twice failed to pass a required written exam. Two years ago, the borough adopted a code requiring all licensed electricians to pass a test given by an electrical underwriting inspection agency. Although Bond has been doing electrical work in the borough for 30 years, his failure to pass the test means he cannot be licensed.
February 12, 1996 |
Earl H. Edwards, 83, of Marshallton, a retired electrician and one of the founding members of the West Bradford Fire Company, died Thursday of congestive heart failure at Chester County Hospital in West Chester. Mr. Edwards, who was born and reared in Ramseytown, N.C., had resided in Marshallton for almost 50 years. "He was with the fire company from the very beginning" more than 40 years ago, said his daughter Wanda Jeannie Graves. During World War II, he was an amateur boxer with the Civil Conservation Corps.
February 5, 2009 |
Joseph P. Molino, 82, of Havertown, a retired railroad electrician and decorated World War II veteran, died Saturday of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at Bryn Mawr Hospital. Mr. Molino, whose parents were Italian immigrants, grew up in South Philadelphia. He dropped out of South Philadelphia High School to work in the mailroom of the Pennsylvania Railroad at 30th Street Station. During World War II, he served in the Army infantry in Europe. In March 1945, his unit came under attack while advancing on Schmitten, Germany.
July 19, 2014 |
Francis J. "Frank" Cunningham, 79, of Springfield, formerly of Drexel Hill, a longtime electrician, died Monday, July 14, of cardiorespiratory arrest at Crozer-Chester Medical Center. Mr. Cunningham worked for 50 years as an electrician with IBEW Local 98 of Philadelphia before retiring in 1992. One of his proudest achievements was serving as acting foreman during the construction of Veterans Stadium in South Philadelphia in the late 1960s. Mr. Cunningham, born at Misericordia Hospital in Philadelphia, graduated from West Catholic High School, and attended Villanova University for a short time before joining the Army.