November 18, 2014 |
A former Catholic priest convicted of sexually abusing a 10-year-old boy at a Northeast Philadelphia parish from 1998 to 1999 died Sunday, just weeks after an appeal of his conviction was heard before the state Supreme Court. The Rev. Charles Engelhardt, 67, of Wynnewood, was in the second year of a six- to 12-year sentence at the Coal Township Prison in Northumberland County, stemming from his 2013 conviction. Engelhardt died at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, the Associated Press reported.
June 14, 2013 |
Even as they professed their innocence, a Catholic priest and an ex-parochial schoolteacher got long prison terms Wednesday in the serial sexual assault of a 10-year-old altar boy in the late 1990s. Common Pleas Court Judge Ellen Ceisler exceeded sentencing guidelines in handing out punishment to the Rev. Charles Engelhardt, 66, and Bernard Shero, 50, saying their crimes called for long terms. She sentenced Engelhardt to six to 12 years in prison and Shero to eight to 16. The sentences stunned the standing-room-only crowd that filled her courtroom.
January 4, 2012 |
One of the Philadelphia area priests charged with sexually abusing altar boys in the 1990s on Wednesday lost a bid to have his case heard separately. After a brief hearing on the matter, Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said the Rev. Charles Engelhardt will be tried with three other priests accused of child-sex assault or conspiring to enable the alleged abuse, the judge's office said. Through his lawyer, Michael J. McGovern, Engelhardt had argued that it was unfair to try him with the others because he belongs to an independent religious order, the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales, while his co-defendants are priests supervised by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
January 5, 2012
One of the Philadelphia-area priests charged with sexually abusing altar boys in the 1990s lost a bid Wednesday to have his case heard separately. After a brief hearing, Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said the Rev. Charles Engelhardt would be tried with three other priests accused of child-sex assault or of conspiring to enable the alleged abuse, the judge's office said. Through his lawyer, Michael J. McGovern, Engelhardt had argued that it was unfair to try him with the others because he belonged to an independent religious order, the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales, while his codefendants were priests supervised by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
January 8, 2013 |
It's been almost two years since a Philadelphia grand jury probe of Catholic clergy sex abuse of children resulted in charges against four priests and a teacher. On Monday - after last year's landmark, three-month trial ended in the first criminal conviction of a church administrator for covering up the crimes of deviate priests - the last two defendants, the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and former parochial schoolteacher Bernard Shero, are to go to trial. Prosecutors, defense lawyers, and Common Pleas Court Judge Ellen Ceisler will begin winnowing a large group of candidates down to a jury of 12 plus several alternates.
January 26, 2013 |
After 8 1/2 days of testimony and closing arguments that brought the alleged victim to tears, a Philadelphia jury has begun working toward a verdict in the child-rape trial of a Philadelphia Catholic priest and ex-parochial-school teacher. The Common Pleas Court jury of eight men and four women met for two hours Friday before breaking until Monday. The Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero are charged in one of the most salacious episodes in the 2011 county investigating grand jury report on child sex-abuse in the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia: the serial rape of a 10-year-old Northeast boy. Engelhardt, 66, and Shero, 49, have pleaded not guilty to assaulting the altar boy the grand jury named "Billy Doe. " The victim, now 24, contacted archdiocesan and civil authorities in January 2009, alleging that Engelhardt, Edward V. Avery, and Shero had serially raped him when he was in fifth and sixth grades at St. Jerome's parish.
April 5, 2012 |
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge sentenced five former police officers to years in prison for the deadly shootings on a New Orleans bridge in the chaotic days following Hurricane Katrina, but not before lashing out at prosecutors for allowing others involved to serve lighter penalties for their crimes. The case that wrapped up Wednesday was the centerpiece of a Justice Department push to clean up New Orleans' police department, which has long been tainted with corruption. U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt expressed frustration that he was bound by mandatory minimum sentencing laws to imprison former Sgts.
January 25, 2013 |
The child-rape trial of a Philadelphia Catholic priest and an ex-parochial-school teacher goes to a Common Pleas Court jury Friday after the end of testimony and one defense lawyer's plea for acquittal. Burton A. Rose urged jurors not to convict former teacher Bernard Shero because of his awkward appearance or the salacious nature of the charges against him. In his closing Thursday, Rose read the list of charges against the 49-year-old, vision-impaired English teacher: rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, child endangerment, and two related counts.